Article on Fusion 360 CAM feeds and speeds and G-Wizard

Might be helpful to folks using the twain:

https://www.cnccookbook.com/fusion-360-feeds-speeds-made-easy-g-wizard/

3 Likes

Timely post. I just got an order of end mills in the mail yesterday, so last night after work, I dutifully sat down to begin my “add new tool” workflow…

1. Check end mill manufacturer page for recommended SFM and chip load numbers
  2. Using the basic feeds / speeds portion of G-Wizard, try to calculate ideal feeds and speeds based on material use
  3. In Fusion, start a new tool in my tool library (sorted by material type)
  4. Using the information from G-Wizard, set RPM / Feed / and Plunge factors in Fusion library for that tool
  5. Repeat for the next mill

That sounds simple, but I realized last night that my feeds and speeds from G-wizard might not accurately account for how I’m using the tool in Fusion (Slotting, adaptive clearing, contouring, etc. Then I realized that while I’m gradually building a comprehensive tool library in Fusion, I haven’t been building a library in G-Wizard “face palm”.

I’ve got to get better at using the CAD/CAM calculator in G-Wizard as the article suggests. I feel like so far G-Wizard has been phenomenal for getting me good basic feeds and speeds to avoid tool breakage, but I’m not using the software to its full potential.

2 Likes

Yeah, I found a machinist notebook software package a while back, but it was a bit overwhelming — I really wish there was some simple, integrated solution.

1 Like

I agree, there needs to be a standard way of communicating how an end mill is intended to be used.
The way it is now requires that one do many calculations that someone has already produced.
This is inefficient and can be both expensive and harmful.
I’m thinking that a basic chart might not be enough though. A searchable online database would be more convenient, especially if there is a way to import the information.
Does anyone think it’s strange that in Fusion 360 we go through all of this work defining an end mill, but then there is no relation to material type? There has got to be a better way.

1 Like

@Tem, I have my Fusion “local” library set up with sub-categories by material type. It’s easy that way to duplicate a tool, copy it to a new sub-category for material, and then just update feeds and speeds accordingly. But yes, in order to calculate material specific feeds and speeds, I have to run it through G-wizard first.

1 Like