Beaver CNC Heavy Duty Z/X Upgrade (HDZ)

Mine arrived home about 30 minutes before I did today as well. It is pretty.

The box was pretty beat to s#!t though. Had a couple of holes ripped in it from the socket head cap screws, but since it was the screw heads, it was no big deal as far as actual damage to the assembly. I can hardly see the scratches on the heads.

2 Likes

From reading the instructions it seems ucgs is a must (for me) as you can’t use this fully with carbide as their z travel distance is hard coded in?

I’m also slightly terrified of screwing something up setting this thing up. The instructions are awesome but I did to overthink things.

2 Likes

I’m sure anything but CM is ok. Wouldn’t have to be UGS.

3 Likes

Sorry guess I shouldn’t have put"must" haha. Yea anything but cm unless they remove the hard cap one day.

Good thing I’ve never anything but carbide motion… Should be a fun week.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Intelli-G-Code from software redefined written by Roger, a member here. I highly recommend it.

Easy probing on Z,X, &Y.

5 Likes

You can write macros in UGS that can handle 3 axis probing. There’s a built-in probe tool if you one axis at a time.
I’d recommend CNCjs as a sender. You can use macros there as well, and the UI, in my opinion, is better than any other.

3 Likes

UGCS - the nightly platform build has 3 axis probing included.

@DCFYI I will do a quick video tonight on UGCS and some basic functions that will help.

7 Likes

This would be great!

1 Like

If something in UGS doesn’t work let me know. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ditto. Totally flabbergasted by the fast arrival in NJ but they appear to have shipped inside a vibratory tumbler. :grinning: Luke’s packaging was really good and no damage but there are 4 holes in the box where the cap screws rode against it. @Luke Luke - just an FYI for your future shipments.

Great Job on getting this completed and in our hands in record time!

Now I have a weekend quandary of whether to tear down the SO & also do the CM4/grbl update & get the probe wired in or instead make a welding art for the new MIG. Too many toys/not enough free time…

RMW

2 Likes

Hu guys, first of I’m dead chuffed to say there are 14 of these now in the wild. One more out for delivery today and it seems they all made it unscathed other than a couple of limit switches.

With the next batch I think I’m going to ship without the v wheel hardware - I had concerns about this and did order extra thick boxes - however they didn’t turn up in time last week (lost in the mail) so I had to find the best I could locally Saturday to ship on Monday.

If anyone’s bolts are damaged or missing just let me know and I will make it right. I’ve already shipped 2 replacement limit switches.

This evening I will update the instructions with:

• A basic UGCS usage video
  • Details on where the green caps go
  • What to do about the V wheels

Let me know if you need anything else - any suggested changes to the instructions are welcome.

3 Likes

Hello, will this work on my Shapeoko 3 XXL? if yes can you post link so i can read about it and I may purchase it. Thanks in advance

1 Like

Where can we buy the limit switch. I’d like to have a couple of backups on hand.

1 Like

Any suggestions for Mac users?

It will work on your SP3 XXL. I will try to post something tonight unless Beaver beats me to it.

1 Like

Awesome. I plane to post a few photos tonight of the instal.

Hi yes it will work on any shapeoko 3. Beavercnc.co.uk is the place to go. The specs are in the shop, instructions and details on the blog.

@DCFYI - I’ve sent you a link with limit switches. Keen to see your install.

3 Likes

Here is a quick video highlighting some of the useful bits in UGCS.

8 Likes

Excellent video! Very helpful.

2 Likes

Very helpful video! Any other problems planned in the future?