Can't install CC on Win7 laptop

I am unable to open any version of Carbide Create (or Carbide Motion) on the laptop I’m planning to use to run my eagerly awaited Shapeoko 3. I’ve updated video drivers, etc. but have hit a wall, so I’m looking for recommendations for (hopefully free) alternatives to both programs.

Here’s specs for the Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop I’ll be using to run my Shapeoko 3:

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Pentium Dual Core T4500 - 2.3 GHz
4 GB RAM
Video - Mobile Intel 4 Series Chipset
Max Resolution: 1366 x 768

I’m really disappointed that I can’t use the software, since it was a selling point for me, and would appreciate any suggestions. I’m not interested in buying another computer.

Thanks in advance.

Do you get any sort of error message? Anything which indicates one of the suggestions here might help?

Some folks have been able to get the apps to run by switching to 256 color mode — there are some other suggestions at:

https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Carbide_Motion_Machine_Control_Software#Troubleshooting

Nearest equivalents would be MakerCAM: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/MakerCAM or ArtCAM: http://www.artcam.com/free/index.asp

Thanks for the help. I read that about the missing .dll file. After three installation attempts, I don’t think the problem is with the Visual C++ install. Here’s the error message I received:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: carbidecreate.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 59c2b0d8
Fault Module Name: ig4icd32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2086
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b8004f4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0052eec8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I looked at the Wiki link you posted, and saw this:
“Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family seems to not work.[24]”

And there it is. Wish I’d known that before removing Ubuntu from this laptop and installing Windows for the express purpose of running this software.

I’ll look into MakerCAM and ArtCAM. Thanks again.

There are many other good software workflows you can use to get from idea, to drawing, to code, to cut. Inkscape is great for vector drawing, as is MakerCAM (for basic things). Makercam generates very decent gcode as well. While I probably shouldn’t say it, I don’t think anything prevents you using Easel with the S3 either.

Once you’ve got gcode, grbl-panel does a great job sending it, if you can’t get Carbide Motion to work.

Or it’s time for a new machine! A penryn chip puts that laptop at almost 10 years old :slight_smile:

I went through a bunch of my older machines as I was not interested in buying another machine either,(my efforts are here in the forum)-in the end a $94 RCA Cabrio was the answer I wish I had simply taken to begin with, I look at the DAYS I wasted focusing on the wrong selling point(runs on most existing machines) instead of focusing on what I could do with it actually working. I know what it cost me to spend all of that time…I spent more than 40 hours on the issue that was eradicated by spending $94 for what turned out to be a much better answer than reusing any of my other machines… I wish I had figured out that head ache was my noggin telling me to quit hitting the wall and go around it after the first volley across the problems bow…and not finally equating the time I spent figuring out what didn’t work to working for less than $2.50 an hour…
Now I don’t have to leave my laptop in the shop, the Cabrio has no fan, happily functions as a tablet, is much more convenient to run my XXL with, and leaves my laptop to use inside for drafting and optimizing projects in comfort.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your input, Adam.

As for a new machine - I’ve really busted the budget on the Shapeoko 3, SuckIt dust boot, Elaire 1/8" collet for the Makita, and a bunch of end mills. In any case, I’m one of those geeks who won’t buy a new computer unless I absolutely must, and I’m just not there yet!

At your suggestion, I took a look at Makercam and I’m going to play around with it. However, I live in a rural area, and my Internet occasionally goes out, so I’d prefer not to rely on web-based tools. Easel may be a better fit for me in that regard - I think I’ll play with it first. Since I can’t run Carbide Motion on that laptop either (perhaps, like Carbide Create, also due to the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset video processor) I’ll definitely check out grbl-panel as well.

I really like grbl-panel. Takes a little getting used to, but very robust.

Regarding makercam - don’t say I never did anything for ya: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpxajg4wxntramy/MakerCAM.zip?dl=0

Download the zip, there is a copy of flash player and the makercam swf. Run the swf as an argument of the exe and you’ve got offline MakerCAM :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can REALLY relate to your story of banging your head against every ol’ piece of hardware around before breaking down and buying another piece of gear. At your suggestion, I’ve looked at the Cambio and found it in several places, for anywhere from $89 on up. However, for many reasons, my aversion to the idea of Windows 10 is strong enough that I finally broke down about 6 months ago and installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop and desktop. Then when I decided to buy the Shapeoko 3 I decided to dedicate the laptop to the shop. I have spazzy hands and poor eyesight, so I figured I’d create in comfort upstairs in my house, with the laptop hooked to a nice big monitor and full-sized keyboard, then take it down to the basement to run the Shapeoko. I re-installed Win7 on the laptop so I could run the Carbide 3D software on it, only to find out it won’t work with my graphics processor. But I haven’t given up yet - I’m going to play around with a few things tonight.

I prefer software I can download over web-based because I’m in a rural area and sometimes my Internet connection takes an unexpected vacation. Carbide 3D’s software was a significant factor in my choice of the Shapeoko. I’ll be using it initially only to cut shapes out of MDF - no engraving or carving in my immediate future - so I don’t need a whole lot of bells and whistles right now. My objective is to just to get up and running, get my feet wet, and crank out some product in time to catch the holiday market. My machine should be delivered tomorrow…

I feel your pain! I hate what Windows has become, a platform for advertising…instead of a streamlined work environment to get software to standardize. But you can cut most of the useless crap from(from the one buying its point of view) windows 10, and free up some serious resources doing it. I have my cabrio locked down tight when it comes to incoming junk/outgoing data collection, and I took all of the extraneous junk software off as well, it is stripped to a lean Shapeoko feeding machine. I have Carbide Motion, Carbide Create, and Estlcam on it, with a few other helpful machining apps. Designing on a laptop and feeding the shapeoko with the tablet means I can use a big monitor, a digitizer/scanner from a comfortable chair, and copy the file to a thumb drive and plug it into the cabrio…Carbide is working on a standalone feeder as well!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for making the files available to me Adam. (I promise I’ll quit saying you never did anything for me!) Now, if I could impose on you just one more time and ask what you mean when you say to run the Shockwave Flash File as an argument of the .exe? I’m trying to install it on Win7 and even though I’ve been running Ubuntu on my desktop PC for a few months, I’m still relatively CLC (command-line clueless.)

My machine arrived a couple of days ago. We got the mdf base sealed today, and are hoping to build it tomorrow…

Unzip that archive to a folder. Open the folder. Hold down Shift and right-click in the folder somewhere. Choose “Open command prompt here” from the menu that pops up. then type shockwave.exe makercam.swf (using the correct exe and swf names). You should be able to just run the exe and do a File->Open as well.

1 Like

There are also instructions on this at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/MakerCAM#Local_Installation

2 Likes

IF all else fails try installing the CC App under your ADMINISTRATOR account.