Carbide Create crashes following installation.?

Yeah. While I hate to go down that road, I almost wonder if in addition to the list of known working configurations we might not have to add a list of known problem machines. Alternately, a couple of the 3D printer companies have started just bundling a tablet — perhaps that would be an option here?

I was able to drive my machine from both an Asus Vivotab Note 8 and a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 — the Note 8 has a less-expensive variant, the Asus Vivotab 8 (no Wacom digitizer) — so we should be able to expand that list some.

The video driver setting angle is a good one, and it’d be great if we could add some video driver setting minimums to the system requirements.

Hey Peter,

As best I can here are the answers to your questions…

According to the System Information on the Dell… Bits/Pixel is set to 32 currently
The Resolution for the 15" screen is set to 1366 x 768

This is a Dell Inspiron 1440 - 4GB Ram - x64 based
Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s)

As to the QT Library… Have to admit that I haven’t got a clue what you’re referring to. :grimacing:

If you can enlighten me, I’ll certainly give it a shot.

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

Bill

QT is a programming library / API / graphical toolkit which is used to write many opensource apps, as well as a number of cross-platform commercial apps.

Hey Will,

As to the QT Library…

I don’t know where I would find it/them nor how I would go about installing it/them or what to do after I did install. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What do those for whom CC works use if it’s not part of CC.

BTW here’s a screen shot of what I get when I attempt to load CC.

Thanks

Hey Peter,

I set the screen for 16 color and uninstalled, reinstalled and there was no change other than the usual black empty window with the Carbide Create Title.

I posted a screen shot in response to Will Adams reply.

Thanks

Guess I’m out $180 for the Dell.

Bill

I’m pretty sure that a copy of the QT libraries is included in the CC installer. Some folks may have been able to fix their problem by installing a new set (he mentioned development kit), but my guess is that it resolves a QT version conflict on the machine. Since you recently installed fresh Windows (that’s right, right?), there shouldn’t be another version of QT lying around to conflict.

It does look like QT is having a hard time with your display driver. Dell (in my humble opinion) is often very slow (as in leaves older hardware without updates forever even if the part maker has provided updates). In this case, it’s probably an Intel display driver. I wonder if you’d be able to get a newer driver straight from Intel. (In the past when I’ve done that, it’s been a bit of an “expert mode” maneuver because they really want you to go through Dell.)

1 Like

If it has the Intel GM45 chipset, then I think the 64-bit display driver is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22166

And the chipset drivers are here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/35509/Mobile-Intel-GM45-Express-Chipset

1 Like

Hey Mark,

I can’t thank you enough for staying with me on this problem. Will Adams sent me a nice note this evening in response to an email I sent to Apollo. In response to the mention of “QT Libraries” I sent the following…

If the postings regarding QT Libraries is related to the Microsoft C++ Redistributable (x86) or (x64)… My everyday laptop, the one I wanted to use in the first place, has a total of 10 of them on my system. CC installs the 2013 version, but I have four 2005, three 2008, one 2012 and one 2015 versions as well. Don’t know if that’s good or bad or even related to my problem??? However, the new used Dell with the new Windows installation has only the 2013 version installed by CC

I don’t recall if you posted before or after I replied to someone that I went to the Dell site and ran their driver search and replace routine. It flashed the BIOS, updated the chipset, audio and video drivers. So I would think everything should be current.

As to your earlier post… the Dell does have the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family and System Information reports…
Installed Drivers igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver Version 8.15.10.1994

I don’t know if any of this makes sense to you, but I welcome any comments or suggestions.

BTW… I just finished my hookups tonight and will be doing the “squaring up” tomorrow morning. I have a friend who has an original Shapeoko and he is bringing over his laptop with CM and CC. We’re gonna give my machine a test shot tomorrow afternoon.

A million thanks,
Bill

I think it’s possible that the Dell search and destroy didn’t give you the latest drivers actually. Dell is often 2 years or more behind Intel in delivering the same driver. It may not help, but in your shoes, I’d try the latest Intel driver. From your information, I think this is the right one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22165/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-Windows-Vista-exe-

Of course, the last time Intel released it was 11/16/2012, so perhaps Dell is caught up after all. It’s hard to tell from the system info because they’ve got a few different numbering systems (booo). The link above is for 15.17.19.2869. I think the part that is comparable is the last four digits and since 2869 > 1994, I think the link I gave is newer than what Dell is offering according to this note from Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005654.html

1 Like

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the note. My Dell has the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I tried the link in your note to the “Download Center”. My chipset wasn’t listed listed among the list of chipsets. I ran the .exe anyway and received a message that my machine “does not meet the requirements” for that driver.

The details of the “crash” message says the failing module is ig4icd32.dll. My System Information file shows that ig4icd32.dll is one of the Mobile 4 Series Chipset drivers on the Dell. The Dell update site is reporting that I have the latest version. ???

I also checked and the only Microsoft Redistributables are the 2013 versions installed by CC/CM. My HP has 10 different ones with varying version and year numbers.

I don’t know if any of this is of use to you, but I thought I’d let you see the info about the system.

I understand how difficult this type of problem is to locate and “cure”, so don’t lose sleep over it. Will Adams has sent me some information on possibly using some Open Source software along with the Universal G-Code Sender. I’m going to spend some time looking at my problem from that angle. Got a lotta reading to do. :fearful:

Thanks again
Bill

1 Like

Hey Bill, hope you’ve been able to find a suitable solution for your setup. I was in the exact same boat…older computer (one that I custom built back in 2009, but still a workhorse)…and was getting the exact same errors as you. I think it boils down to the video technology at the time, specifically the G41/G43/G45 chipset. I have a G41-based motherboard, and it’s always had a problem with the available Intel GMA drivers…only a very specific one from the motherboard manufacturer ever worked…anything direct from Intel would cause the HDMI/DVI ports to not work.

Anyway, as noted, exact same error messages, exact same problem. Same OS, similar Core 2 Duo, same Intel 4 chipset. All boiled down to the video drivers. If I changed the driver setting to 16-bit, I could get the blank screens; at 32-bit, the crashes.

I don’t think you have much of an option with the laptops, but my solution was to get a new video card.

1 Like

Hey Patrick,

Been quite a while since I first posted. I’m writing with the original Ol’ Faithful laptop. The local shop was kind enough to allow me to return the Dell so I picked up an HP Windows 10 with an AMD processor, switched to UGS and purchased VCarve. Haven’t looked back since. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the note.

Bill