Carbide Create Machines Air and/or cause Z Axis Error [RESOLVED]

I created a design in Carbide Create, saved the g-code, loaded it into Carbide Motion and sent it to my S3 after zeroing everything out. The S3 would immediately jump up what looked to be the width of my stock and then begin cutting… only it was cutting an inch in the air. I restarted several times, even resaved my file and double checked all my settings. No matter what it always did this. So I decided to test g-code created with other software. I created the exact same design with the exact same parameters in Easel and downloaded the g-code and then went through the same process to send it to my S3… worked flawlessly the first time. I’m using Beta 283 of Carbide Create. Any ideas what is going on?

Manually check your gcode and look for your first z move. Especially on a thicker part it may automatically set it to move higher than it can actually travel.

It will go as far as it can at the top which will throw off the z down move after it causing it to cut above the part. I’ve seen it do it twice now and just changed the z move to a smaller value manually and saved the code.

Where is the Z0 in CC and where did you Z0 on the stock? If they differ, this kind of thing can happen. They have to agree - be in alignment - for things to work out properly.

Is the CAM Z0 of the part on the bottom but your Z0 of the stock on top (in the machine)?

Yes, CAM programs maintain clearance and/or rapids planes where it is safe to move. This will be above the top of your stock. How high this is over the stock isn’t definable in CC yet. If your stock is thick enough, this could be enough to trip the limit switches.

Please ZIP the g code file and post it. Let me take a look with one of my analytical tools.

mark

Thanks for the replies. I’m fairly new still to CNC and this looks like it was a newbie mistake. I checked the Z0 and in CC it is set to bottom. When I zeroed out my machine obviously I set it to the stock top so that explains the issue. I must have changed that when I was setting the stock thickness.

I’m fairly new still to CNC and this looks like it was a newbie mistake. I checked the Z0 and in CC it is set to bottom. When I zeroed out my machine obviously I set it to the stock top so that explains the issue. I must have changed that when I was setting the stock thickness.

That’s what we’re here for!

One must align their X0Y0Z0 of their CAM with the X0Y0Z0 of their machine. Commonly, the X0Y0 is a stock corner and this is relatively obvious. The Z0 can be easy to miss and so they differ.

In this case - CAM Z0 on bottom and machine Z0 on top - one machines air. If the clearance/rapids plane is sufficiently high about the top of stock, the upper Z limit is hit, a fault results and things stop.

In the reverse case - CAM Z0 on top and machine Z0 on bottom - the tool will dig into the stock. Now really bad things can happen… breaking tools, machining into their bed, spindle damage, fire…

Touch top Z0 is common (setting Z0 on the top of stock). It’s easy and obvious but it also has a weakness. Unless the stock has been milled to an accurate, precise, and known thickness, it’s quite possible to dig into your spoiler board (when one doesn’t have to). Stock (e.g. wood, plywood, MDF) is often imprecise in its thickness and flatness - even metals and plastic can be surprisingly off from the expected thickness.

If one want’s really precise and accurate parts one must:

A) Affix a spoiler board to their bed.
B) Mill the top of the spoiler board flat. Now it is is square and flat to their mill.
C) Mill the top of their stock flat (while it is affixed to the spoiler)
D) Flip their stock.
E) Mill the stock the specified thickness.

mark

P.S.

This discussion was CC specific but it should help explain the details: