Carbide Motion for a tablet

Just wondering, but does anyone know if there are plans to bring carbide motion to multiple platforms? I just bought a amazon fire tablet for £50 quid - how cool would it be if it could be used to control the machine?

I vaguely recall that there are a few gcode sender apps for Android, which might work well on an Amazon Fire.

You can also get an Atom-based Windows tablet for not much more than that, which will run Carbide Motion natively, or pretty much any other Windows gcode sender.

One minor thing to watch out for on these cheaper tablets is that they frequently only have one USB port that shares charging and data duties, so if you have it plugged in to charge you can’t also plug it in to the Shapeoko board. Generally the 10" tier is when you start seeing 2+ USB ports per device.

2 Likes

There are a couple listed at: https://shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Communication_/_Control#Android

@CastIrony’s point is a good one — I always had to use battery power when using my Asus Vivotab Note 8, and am fortunate to have a Toshiba adapter which works well on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10.

Most likely though, the official solution for Android tablets will be Carbide Connect, the small board which connects to machines and allows stand-alone use over a network connection.

Any word on when this may become available? It sounded like it was right around the corner about 4 months ago.
Jerry

I suspect it won’t be until after the Probe has been announced, and a few days ago @RichCournoyer mentioned that being roughly a week out, so I’m looking for the Probe to drop early June (in the monthly announcement?). At that point I’d guess development efforts would shift to the next project — but if that is Carbide Connect, I don’t know — this is all surmise.

It would be nice if android was supported but I run my S3 on an 8" MicroCenter Winbook with Windows 8.1. 4 port usb hub powers S3, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Have to do a little squinting from time to time but other than that it’s flawless. I think I paid about $100 for it at the time. They are very inexpensive.

1 Like

PS I’m planning a social visit (Ok, forgot my coat at the MF and someone from C3D took it for me…yes the absent-minded professor) next week and I’ll ask.

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on the probe. Lol
Thanks

1 Like

Hey, any word on where the C3D app is at? I just picked up an Android table from Micro Center on a holiday deal and would love to run my S3 from this so I don’t have to get dust all over my laptop every time I take it to the garage.

I suspect given all the harassment they got for the delays on the probe they aren’t going to say much until they actually launch it.

Undocumented stuff: Start up CM, then connect with a browser to port 8080 (http://yourmachine:8080) and the UI is there and works pretty well, better than via screen share. Works great with a headless+fanless pc running the SO3.

1 Like