Carbide Motion Load Project Error

Hi All–

I’m getting an error message that reads “cannot open file: open error” in Carbide Motion when I try to load the MeshCam toolpath file. The toolpath was saved out as a "basic gcode-inch (.nc)". I also tried file extensions "basic gcode-inch arcs (.nc) & "basic gcode-mm (*.nc). None of these file types opened in Carbide Motion. The software & machine seem connected as I can move the cutter and zero out positioning. I cannot load a file.

As I am new to Shapeoko/ Carbide Motion & MeshCam, any suggestions would help tremendously!

I just realized that the proper export extension is Shapeoko GRBL-Inch (*.nc). No need for replies. Sorry for the frantic post!

I have the same error even when I load the WRENCH.NC file. Is there a solution?

That’s odd — check to make certain the file downloaded properly?

Look at it in a text editor?

It should start as:

%
(FILENAME: wrench.nc)
(STOCK/BLOCK, 4.896, 1.280, 0.125, -0.000, -0.000, 0.125)
G20
G90
(TOOL/MILL,0.1250,0,1.0000,0.0)
M6 T102

ISTR that the comments were causing issues in other files — delete the first three lines?

Thank you. I will. It was happening to files I created prior to this, so I thought I’d try a “known good” file.

My file looks the same:

%
(FILENAME: wrench.nc)
(STOCK/BLOCK, 4.896, 1.280, 0.125, -0.000, -0.000, 0.125)
G20
G90
(TOOL/MILL,0.1250,0,1.0000,0.0)
M6 T102

Okay, I think it’s down to some sort of system error. Things to check

• ensure that the app is running under account settings which have read / write access to the directory in question
  • check to see if the file has been re-encoded as Unicode from ISO-Latin 1 or some other suitable 8-bit encoding

If neither of those pan out, then document each thing you’ve tried and send it in to support@carbide3d.com along w/ all the system specifics (OS version, computer specs, Software build #, &c.) and someone smarter than me will take a look at it.

William

Thanks! I will look into this. It may take a day or so.

OK. Here’s the scoop… I moved the wrench file to my DOWNLOAD directory and I can open the file using Carbide Motion. It looks like the application doesn’t have R/W access to the directory My Documents/Nomad folder.

It could be an application issue or Windows 10/network server issue, but I can live with that anomaly.

Thanks for the help!