Carbide Motion Update

Confirmed issues in v3.62 update for me.

Lost all ability to jog via the controller… any jog operation resulted in an instant Z+ travel to hit the limit switch. Back to v3.60 and all perfect again.

Just put my XL together and updated software and it’s doing the same thing. Up to limit…then cycle aborted…now all jogging is not working. Based on this post I am going to assume the machine works and it’s the new patch?

I think it’s version 362 problem. Try v361:

http://carbide3d.com/dl/CarbideMotion-361.exe

1 Like

I finished a job yesterday afternoon, updates to 362 and couldn’t jog anymore. I didn’t try running another job but I can report that I could do rapid positions and homing worked. When I tried to jog in any direction the machined would head in positive directions on all axis and wouldn’t stop when it hit the limits. I stopped it by shutting down Motion.

I’ve since switched to version 361 and so far everything is working as it did (still a little glitchy but no biggy).

Tom

This is truely SPEAK — EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTIL UPDATE TO CM4 - which force me to update grbl1.1
Now nothing WORK — BUT this is so strange — I cutted 5 holes ( 3-3/4" — 6 other 7/16" same machine, CM4 cut it without any issues. I used water spindel, with certified Shield to eliminate EMI interference which SO/Staff said may be the cause - I do not agree - It was working fine before - this is so frustrating and I am going to lose my business because I can not produce parts for my clients - God help me and help us. This is out of this world - this is so sad for me

Please package up a complete set of files and a full description to support@carbide3d.com — if it really is software, we should be able to replicate it — if not, then we should be able to work out some other solution.

Thanks for your replied. I just send to support 2 gcodes - 7 holes inside cut — working perfectly.
The profile outside cut having issues - lost connection

same machine, spindel, stock why it is not working while cut profile

yes, please send:

• C2D source file
  • .gcode file for cutting
  • specifics on your machine setup
  • step-by-step instructions on how you set up and do things

Please note that we only support the use of the machine w/ a trim router, so if the files cut okay with that, but not when using some other spindle the help we can provide will necessarily be limited.

Are you talking to me? pls respond -

It has been a while I felt this way, so hopeless, I try all versions - rollback from 4 to 3.0.366 not working .368 not working — 361 not working what i am going to do - Carbide blame it on EMI - blame it because I use water spindel, but I ued certified with shiled cable for my spindel- itrbperfectly til I upgrade to CM4 - I am now on CM3.0.361 and hopeless - how I am going to do my job

The thing is, if you’ve been able to revert to the previous version, everything should be back to the way it was — upgrading to CM4/Grbl 1.1 and then reverting to CM3 and Grbl 0.9 should get one back to exactly the same state.

I’ve got your file in the support queue and will be trying to run it presently. If it runs successfully w/ the spindle off, then it seems to me that EMI is the most likely culprit. I wish we had money to set up every person doing support w/ every machine variation, including third-party spindles, but that’s just not in the budget — if you’re going to reach beyond the standard supported configuration you’ve got to bridge that yourself and be self-supporting on the non-standard aspects of the machine.

One possibility here is that you didn’t revert things to exactly the same state — please check your table extents and steps / mm — is it possible that it is alarming on trying to move out of bounds? (I had to reduce both files to get them to run on my XL)

BTW: You clearly deserve a metal…(or better pay)

2 Likes

Hello - Thanks for your support & help — pls send me file to correct my reverting step which you said not exactly correct, I did save the setting before the upgrade on a notepad file. AFter I rolled back to 0.9 & CM3 - I match the setting as originally. I used the $$ in MDI and look at the logs to check
here is current setting below - pls tell me which line is not correct
Hello - Thanks for your support & help — pls send me file to correct my reverting step which you said not exactly correct, I did save the setting before the upgrade on a notepad file. AFter I rolled back to 0.9 & CM3 - I match the setting as originally. I used the $$ in MDI and look at the logs to check
here is current setting below - pls tell me which line is not correct
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=6 (dir port invert mask:00000110)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=255 (status report mask:11111111)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.010 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$14=1 (auto start, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
$24=100.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=3300.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=25 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=5.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=40.000 (z, step/mm)
$110=5000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=5000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=5000.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=400.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=400.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=400.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=840.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=840.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=80.000 (z max travel, mm)
ok

pls tell me what version is best ( .366 r .368 or .361 ) so far I did tried all of them and having the same issues. Lost connection

The culprit ought to be $130, $131, or $132 — it’s also possible that you’ve shifted where you are starting the cut at, and that’s what’s triggering the error if my surmise is correct. If it’s not, I’m mystified. Hopefully someone at Carbide3D w/ access to an XXL can test your file — would you please send in what location you’re using on the table bed as an origin?

Which software version shouldn’t matter for lost connection so long as you’re using one of the more recent ones which has the longer timeout.

Hi — I am using the bottom left corner as ZERO JOB, where I reset all to ZERO before I start the job. You are maybe correct about (it’s also possible that you’ve shifted where you are starting the cut at, and that’s what’s triggering the error if my surmise is correct) ------------ As I do not have a probles, so It is almost impossible for me to start at the exact location as I align to get my ZERO JOB position, so I can say maybe you are correct about this.
BUT — I have been cutting many parts and I did the same steps and the same procedure, Align the XYZ as colse as possible as my eyes can see and my fingers can touch and feel the end-mills flutes to make sure I get as close as possible on my ER JOB location - God help me and help us all - I need to go back to work and my machine is not working for a week now — what is th valu for $130 - $131 - $132 should be - I have SO3 XXL with homing switches installed.???

The $13x grbl parameters would give you an alarm (soft limit) not a disconnect, so that seems unlikely to be the problem.

The random disconnect is one of the most frustrating aspects of these machines (Shapeoko). I still get them occasionally, though not very often, despite doing most or all of the combinations of mitigation (a very short USB cable with a ferrite bead seems to have had the biggest impact but the whole process is voodoo). I’ll be moving my XXL some time soon so maybe the new place will have the right juju.

I’ll be moving my XXL some time soon so maybe the new place will have the right juju.What do you mean by this???

I just mean that for me (unlike others) the “random disconnect” problem has never gone away entirely. I use my machine as a hobby, so this has just been a source of occasional frustration, and I don’t have the time to devote to endless tweaking to try to make the machine really reliable. Shapeoko is really a “kit”, I own both an XXL and a Nomad and the Nomad is a much more “plug and play” product — I’ve never had to tweak a thing on it. But of course its work area is much smaller and the spindle is far less powerful.

You can find the meaning of the grbl 0.9 parameters here by the way:

1 Like

At the risk of wading into this discussion;

Does the machine perform the random disconnects when you run the job with the spindle AND VFD powered completely off?

Where (in the world) are you physically? Some places have very dirty AC power, you might think about adding a voltage conditioner to your machine, running on a different circuit than your VFD/spindle.

2 Likes