Carving only one side of a graphic?

I have acrylic already cut to 5" x 4" and I need to shape only the top edge to this configuration:

How can I get my Shapeoko XL / Carbide create to do this?
Thanks!

Don

Subtract that shape from a rectangle and only cut it.

Unfortunately, Carbide Create doesn’t have a facility to offset paths, nor to cut an open path w/o closing it.

The proper thing to do here would be to:

• open the SVG in a drawing program (if you have one — if not, re-draw it there)
  • delete the sides and the bottom
  • outline the stroke by half the diameter (plus 5%) of the endmill
  • again delete the sides and the bottom path
  • outline the stroke by the diameter of the endmill plus 10%
  • cut the resultant path as a pocket.

This is simple enough that one can just set it as a background template in Carbide Create and redraw it w/a couple of boolean operations. Hang on, step-by-step instructions coming up.

Step-by-step instructions:

• open the JPEG in a pixel editor and remove all background area so that what you wish to cut is the desired stock size

Then, open Carbide Create:

• set the stock size to 5" x 4"
  • go to the background image pane
  • load the image and scale it appropriately

(details on doing this are here: https://shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Carbide_Create_Photo_Tracing )

Draw in the geometry which you will need:

Select the top two elements and union them:

Select the new geometry and the bottom rectangle and (assuming the rectangle is the key object with a dashed line highlight) subtract the rectangle from the new geometry:

Resulting in:

Then select the original geometry and the circle:

and subtract:

and you’re done.

In order to cut this with a 1/4" endmill you’ll need to lie to the system about the diameter of the endmill — report it as 6mm (at least 10% less than the 1/4" thickness of the path) and offset appropriately.

It is left as an exercise for the reader how to adjust the paths by tweaking the underlying grid to get the 1/4" + 10 percent thickness which being honest would entail.

Please note that the automatic feeds and speeds for at least one material in Carbide Create are wrong, w/ an essentially zero depth per pass — please use the feeds and speeds from the official chart instead.

1 Like

Thanks Will… this looks great!
Don