Chain falling off rail

Will a simple piece of plywood that spans across the back keep the chain from sliding off the rail? The adhesive isn’t doing its job.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I drilled a hole and used a small screw in place of the tape.

5 Likes

I ended up tapping threads in the rail on mine,heres a pic of what i did further down the page

2 Likes

Please note that the VHB adhesive is only good for one use, and requires some curing time to achieve full bond strength.

2 Likes

I added a bracket on my gantry to prevent the drag chain from sliding off

3 Likes

In the same boat…considering the same things-a fastener and a bracket!

2 Likes

The VHB Adhesive was clamped tight between the chain and the rail for a day. I am not yet sure how to attach the ends of a fence to the top of the two sub assemblies on the end of the x-rail. I could simply 3D print a few parts similar to a bracket. There are many possibilities.

I cleaned both of the application areas with an alcohol pad, let ti dry for 15 minutes then applied the VBH, and clamped over night. but this was done inside where the temp was 73 degrees, and after 3 months my SHapeoko moved to a Jalousie porch without climate control…I am sure the heat/cycles took its toll on the adhesive…Mechanical Fastening to the rescue!

1 Like

Can’t agree more to “Ditch the VHB tape”… my dragchains all have fixed fastener attachment

3 Likes

Yup, drill + tap + screw to the rescue!!! I liked it so much I did the same on both sides of my machine:

Dan

2 Likes

That sounds like the way to go.
I just bought the drill and tap kit, but they didn’t have the machine screws… the store down the street, Fastenal, opens at 7:30am.

1 Like

Two holes were drilled and tapped on the top of the X-rail.

3 Likes