Change Shapeoko size in CM4?

I just expanded my SO3 to XL and upgraded to CM4 at the same time. The jogging and homing all seem to work so far, but the size of the XL is set to 830mm instead of 850mm, leaving almost an inch of X travel on the left unused. I’m not desperate for the extra 20mm except that I really want to be able to move the cutter left of the screw hole there to mount a second spoil board using the same threaded hole.

I tried changing the size using $130=850, which stores that value (later checked with $$) but it seems Carbode Motion ignores it and still only allows X jogging of 825mm? Is this possible to change? (Likewise, I see soft limits are set to false, but I assume CM4 imposes it’s own soft limits regardless of this setting?)

1 Like

This isn’t the first I’ve seen of the sizes set in “Send Config” be wrong for a machine. I brought my misconfig (for an XXL) up to support@carbide3d.com and they said it was a bug - you should do the same. I don’t use CM anymore, so I’m not sure if it’s been addressed or not.

That being said, a manual set of the param used to override the incorrect CM values and work for me… are you sending that with CM’s MDI field, or via straight serial connection like putty? I wonder if CM is intercepting that and “fixing” it for you?

I’m just setting it via MDI window. And It seems to be sticking, but just ignored. I can still only jog the machine 825mm instead of the 850 I set. I had read some places that the correct XL dimensions are 850mm but then saw someone else recommending 830 (to avoid getting too close to the left rail I assume?), but CM 4 is only letting me jog to 825 either way. Unless I’m missing how to change it.

CM4 hardwires the various machine sizes — if you can’t get a behavior which you desire, please write it up and send it in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll see if it can be taken into consideration.

1 Like

Ah, that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks, Will. I’m bummed that the size was fixed at 830mm even though other C3D documents about the XL say to set the size in the earlier versions of Carbide Motion to 850mm. Attached is a picture of my carriage at the left most extent that CM4 will let me jog it, although on the right side I can go all the way to the limit switch of course. If I could get that extra 10 or 20mm on the left side, I’d be able to cut material that was slightly left of the hole that is in the picture, which I want to use as an attachment point for a secondary wasteboard.

Out of curiosity, do you you know why it can no longer be set to 840 or 850mm?

Any update to how to increase the X size in CM4 for XL? I’d love to get that extra 10mm so that I can level my wasteboard symmetrically with just a 1/4” bit. Note that on the right side - where the homing switch is - it clears the screw fully but on the left side cannot reach it because CM4 thinks the XL is slightly narrower than it is. Why can’t we set this ourselves as in past versions? I emailed C3D but didn’t hear back. Thanks.

2 Likes

For CM4 and later, my understanding is that the table values are being hard-coded so as to make the internal application logic easier / more reliable.

For that extra little bit, I’d suggest temporarily using some 3rd party program (list here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Communication_/_Control )

1 Like

Thanks, Will. I’ll try one of the other senders just for surfacing my top wasteboard.