Changing tools - newbie question-

It’s our understanding that most people have been breaking the programs up into multiple single-tool programs

So almost everyone is doing the same thing we do…and i thought there was an easier way, but i was wrong. I hope to solve this problem in the near future.

@robgrz Btw you said "we’re taking a very conservative approach to adding features. Once we add them we cannot easily remove them without angering people"
A company tries to give to their customers easier solutions to such problems. I mean by adding such feature to the program CM (i don’t know how difficult it is to do it), you will help us a lot with the tool change issue. I don’t see why you might have to remove this feature later, since it will make our lifes easier, so no one will get mad about it since you will not have to remove it(as we said above, most of people are splitting their projects in parts for this reason). In fact users like me will get happy about it. I know CM is new and doesn’t have a lot of options in it yet(as far as i used it), but more features that will help the users means better software. Better service.

Maybe I’m wrong but this is my way of thinking.
On the other hand, i dont think that anyone will get mad by adding this feature, because only when you need to change a tool this option will appear. And if someone is using another way of changing a tool and resetting to zero the z axis this will not affect him since he wont need to jog the machine. He will just continue without jogging.

Jogging the machine to reset to zero the z axis while you need to change a tool in the middle of a project, is gonna be a lovely feature for all.
Thanks for your reply and your help though.

Ah, the march of time. I operated my CNC Sherline mill for 6+ years without home switches, and separate MC gcode files for each tool… (is my gray beard showing? :wink: ) In the absence of an automatic toolchanger, one is at the machine anyway to load the new tool so an extra minute or two to load a fresh gcode and Z-zero the new tool is not a large burden… But jogging during a toolchange would not be something to sneeze at either…

Randy

2 Likes

Ah, the march of time. I operated my CNC Sherline mill for 6+ years without home switches, and separate MC gcode files for each tool… (is my gray beard showing? :wink: ) In the absence of an automatic toolchanger, one is at the machine anyway to load the new tool so an extra minute or two to load a fresh gcode and Z-zero the new tool is not a large burden… But jogging during a toolchange would not be something to sneeze at either…

I, too, remember those days… It wasn’t that long ago that I had to do this on a ShopBot (it didn’t have a tool changer)!

It’s our understanding that most people have been breaking the programs up into multiple single-tool programs

This certainly is how I run the Nomad - with it’s tool change abilities.

A retract can be helpful because it will make as much room as the z axis can do to change a tool. I have homing switches too.

Given some of the complex fixtures one may be using, a full retract would be the only safe move. That said, the tool may be in the middle of a minefield of fixtures and jogging the gantry to a safe (and easily accessible) location is necessary for a tool change.

The Nomad has a fixed sequence for a tool change so knowing how it is done I do not have fixtures in its moving path.

mark

I’ve done multi tool carvings in the S3 and all I did was when it finished the 1st run . The router went back to the start point, I used the manual jog to move the router off the piece
Then I change the tool and moved it back and reset the zoo for the Z only. Once it was set I loaded the 2nd tool path file and it continued just like before.

1 Like

That’s what I am doing now: Multiple runs/path files. The things is, as a newbie I was thinking I was doing something wrong cause CM (in a multiple tool job) ask to change the tool without rising the Z axis (which make it imposible)
It is clear now, for the moment multiple runs for changing tools is the way.

I create a unique toolpath for each cutter type. So if I rough with a 1/4" endmill, then finish with a 1/16" endmill, I would use 2 toolpaths. At the end of the roughing toolpath I shut down the sprindle, jog the machine to a place with enough clearance for the tool change, then I change tools, then reset my Z, then start the second toolpath for the finishing. I have homing switches, but as long as you shut down the spindle, but do not shut down the controller, your X and Y coordinates should be unchanged. Just reset your Z in the same area that you set it in the first toolpath in case your bed or stock is not exactly flat.

I should add that I use Universal G-Code Sender rather than Carbide Motion. I had a hard time doing the tool changes and getting the Z height reset in Carbide Motion. But it has been so long since I switched to UGS I can’t remember exactly what the issue was. Maybe it is better now.

Something isn’t right, it should retract and center the carriage - mine does.

If it’s in the G-code the system will follow the command. One could manually add this in the g-code if your CAM does not already.

If you have it set up with limit switches then it will raise up for tool changes. Otherwise it will not because it doesn’t know how far it can raise without hitting a stop.

Luckily I added tool change positions into my software, so I have not even tried to do this in Carbide Motion. I like the Carbide create functions but the motion I think needs a lot of work to be more useful to me.

@rogwabbit
I see this is possible with your software, but how do you go about opening a file not created within your software…or is that even possible?

Yes it runs any standard gcode file. I am working to integrate even more features, I’m thinking about being able to make it produce gcode to engrave .svg files soon and may add even a get more options. If I can decipher .stl files, 3d machining may come into it as well but that is huge effort and a bit premature at the moment.

so Rich posted something I think might be of use for this thread. Please let me know if I am mistaken, but it looks to be exactly what you are all aiming to do. I am also a COMPLETE n00b so I have not had a chance to toy around with this yet. Please to spend the weekend getting to better know my machine.

1 Like

Hey Everyone, Noob here… I think I figured out the solution to this tonight while messing around in Carbide Create and getting my hand-made layout drawings converted into CAD files for use with my new SO3 XXL.

Under the “Job Setup” (gear symbol) tab, there is a box right below the drop down for which model machine you are running, it appears to be defaulted to 12mm. After running a few tests, I determined that that is the height the z axis retracts from zero for tool changes.

I set mine to 25.4mm, which is the conversion to 1", and made a 1" wooden cube. When it comes time to do a tool change, the carriage will lift up, I simply remove the existing tool, then insert the new one. After I insert the new tool, I let it rest on the wooden cube while I tighten the collet.

Perfect every time I’ve tried it!

1 Like

Steve,

I’m glad this works for you, but when you tighten the collet, the tool is drawn up off the block (upwards of 0,025"), but if this level of precision works for you, go for it.

1 Like

Rich,

I’m mainly using the machine for cutting out wood pieces and engraving signs, so that level of precision does work for me. I can see where that may not be the case for users who are machining precision parts, but if the machine is only being used for basic cutting, I think it’s an easy solution.

Thanks

1 Like

Adding the ability to re-zero the z axis would be extremely helpful. Running a separate job for each tool change is a very inelegant way to deal with a multi-tool job (which most of mine will be). This is my first post, so let me say this: thanks for a great product! Best addition to my woodworking arsenal ever.

5 Likes