Desk name plate, and the power went out *Finished Product Inside*

Anyone ever have a power outage while they were in the middle of running something. Luckily I was able to make it work. Anyhow making some nameplates for people at work. The finished product will be done tomorrow I’ll have to post a finished picture then.

8 Likes

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if we shouldn’t take advantage of these things being 12V

1 Like

@WillAdams This why I use a battery backup same as the gamer kids use on their gaming PCs. Produces a nice machine happy sine wave as well, which I suspect is why I’ve never had disconnects despite being horrible about running power cords, vacuum hoses and USB cords in close proximity. I also have two dedicated 20 amp garage outlet circuits. None of this however will keep my vacuum running in the event of full neighborhood power outage (I plug it into the wall, not the battery backup), but it will give me a chance to pause the job, in theory at least, haha!

@TX_SGT Glad you were able to save it, the finished product looks really good!

Dan

2 Likes

Here is the finished product.

I also made 2 more today. Waiting for the glue to dry so I can finish them.

Just some random pics I took while they were working.

Also just curious if you were making these for a paying customer what would you charge them. They are made of Walnut, and Maple. 12" wide and about 4" tall. Being co-workers I only charged them $20.00 each. I think that is way to low, but I really don’t know what I would charge someone not getting the “Buddy” price.

4 Likes

$80-$100 Would not be unreasonable finished. How long did it take you to machine them?

2 Likes

The texas shaped one was pretty quick. Less than an hour. The one with the detailed seal was probably 1.5 hours, and the one with no design just the name was about an hour. The finish pass with the 1/16th endmill takes a while.

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but the your bases say “Roberton”, while some of the signs say “Robertson”

4 Likes

There’s a reason for that. The one that says it both times the person didn’t want their title on the plaque itself, and when I asked them what they wanted on the base they said “French M. Robertson Unit”. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I charge $1 per minute, of machining time. Minimum 1 hr.
For the Granite, I would double that, just because it’s a specialty item, and expensive to replace.
I get over $200 an hour for some special items, that are hard to find.
Find a niche, special trades call for special over priced tools.
Thats what I look for. Things people in uncommon jobs need. You get a premium price for it, but takes days and nights to find it sometimes.
Otherwise $1 a minute is not unreasonable at all. And I live in Arkansas :slight_smile:
One Avenue, you might think about, is adding a drag knife, and Magnetic sheets. Seems like theres some room to grow in that area. I’ll leave that research to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I mean i think you are missing an “S” in some of the Robertsons

4 Likes

I learned a little something watching your video.
Usually if something happens, I start all over, because there is no “run from here” option.
I dont think about changing the program. There are a lot of times that doing that would be faster.
Thanks for the videos.
P.S. That looks like a long skinny bit. Cool pic. (bottom), you can even see the perfect example of tool deflection.

2 Likes

OMG… you’re right. Guess what I will be doing today!!!
Damn I didn’t even catch that. Good eye. I feel like a goof now. :joy:

4 Likes

Just wanted to drop in here and say GREAT WORK!

Typos or not - those signs look really sharp.

-Edward

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t want you to think I was just looking to nitpick; I really like your work. I want to do some similar projects for guys at my work, so I’m watching your vids closely.

But I didn’t want you to miss the typo and then present those in public only for you to be embarrassed. I was hoping to catch you before you glued them in place. And I agree, I think you should be charging more than $20 a piece, even for friends. Maybe closer to $40 or $50 since they are customized to the individual.

3 Likes

Jerry, when you say you “start all over,” do you mean you toss the stock in the waste bin and start completely over with a new piece of stock? Or do you mean you start the job over from the beginning of the Gcode file on the same piece of stock and let the bit just “float” over the areas it cut on the first pass before the power went out and let it pick up where it started? If you’re doing the second, this would be a really nice time to have a button/dial that you could turn to speed up the feed rate while it’s cutting air. I’d like a second dial that you you make slight adjustments to z as it’s running, too.

2 Likes

The second one :slight_smile:
And I concur.
Luckily, it doesn’t happen often.[quote=“Boothecus, post:16, topic:5766”]
I’d like a second dial that you you make slight adjustments to z as it’s running, too.
[/quote]

Thats a good idea, too. I hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

I think the ease with which you can start a job over and have it go to exactly the same x0 y0 z0 after re-homing is one of the best features of the Shapeoko. I use that feature all the time, whether it is restarting a tracing I’m doing in uneven plywood to drop the Z down just a hair or to do the same part over and over.

1 Like

As much as I try to flatten my boards it seems like there is always a low or high spot. I plane in my planer, sometimes by hand. I measure, I cut, I measure, I cut, and there is always a low spot. It never really seems to matter unless I am doing a large pocket area, or some very detailed carving. Oh well such is life. I think I need a dial indicator, and a set of shims.

The funny thing is I showed the two people the same pics as above this morning, and they liked them. They didn’t notice. When I got home and saw this I called them, and told them they wouldn’t be getting them Wednesday as planned, but the one silver lining is I got to re-do the one with the seal, and get rid of the machine marks on the background by using a 2 flute end mill, and doing 3 passes rather than two as well as running my stepover to 30% rather than 40%. I also added a texture to hers, and I think it turned out a little better this time. The other one liked the State seal, and asked if I could add it to hers before I did the new one, so I learned a lesson, and everyone gets what they want. Thanks for noticing though it would have been quite embarrassing taking those to work and having someone notice.

4 Likes

Regarding the power outage. Since these run on relatively low power (12V), is there any reason a PC battery backup unit (like an APC) couldn’t be used for the main power? That would probably run for 15+ minutes without power and give you plenty of time to pause the job to wait for power to return. If it is longer than the backups battery life, then you would have to start the job from the beginning again.

Plus, a system like that may even out any power spikes/surges that may accidentally restart the machine.

Just a thought.

2 Likes