Drag Chain and X & Z control cables (too short?) (XL)

I’ve gone through the instructions and searched the forums, and haven’t found an exact match for my issue, but I’m hoping someone’s seen this before. Specifically, the instructions (and most examples I’ve seen in videos) appear to have amply length on the X & Z (grey jacketed) control cables to allow them to make the corner from the Drag Chain and into the control cover. In mine however (they came pre-threaded), there really just isn’t enough play to make the corner without stressing something (never mind once it starts moving).

I notice that there is some bundled (unjacketed) length on the far end of the cable (i.e. on the motor end). Would it be a reasonable solution to unbundle that length and feed that socket connection down into the drag chain? I don’t really “like” that, as it leaves a socket inaccessible (not sure if that would ever fail or need to be disconnected, but it seems “non-ideal” somehow).

Hopefully this is a known issue with an equally known solution… Has anyone seen/solved this? I will email the company tomorrow, but wanted to put it out here as well. Thanks in advance.

The wiring ought to be long enough — worst case is open up the drag chain, if need be take out some of the twist and re-lay it — if that doesn’t work, contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll sort it out.

To give some idea about the amount we’re talking here…
on the far end (~ 7"):

On the controller end (while threaded through cover):

Controller end, X & Z lengths (~ 9"):

Controller end, Y’s (these are plenty long, ~ 19"):

Did you try opening up the drag chains and relaying the wiring?

Well, I suppose I was hoping there was a sort of “acceptable range” that these could be judged either “in” or “out” of expected/required spec. The whole “tear it apart to hope that things are longer than they appear” didn’t seem like the ideal first approach… and I might have been doing something obviously wrong.

One question before I launch into surgery on this thing… When you say “take out some of the twist”, do you mean that there is an introduced twist internal to the chains… or were you referring to the concept of feeding the un-jacketed section down into the chain?

The twist reference was to the homing switch wires if they’re too short.

If this doesn’t work out let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll sort it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.