Drilling wasteboard, CAM efficiency

I’m setting out to drill holes for inserts in my wasteboard. I drew up the attached SVG (having tested my sizes already).
169 Holes. If I bring it into CM or makercam, both generate the most comically inefficient toolpaths I can imagine. I’d like it to bore each hole and countersink to full depth, then move on to the next.

Is there a way to nudge either of these CAM platforms into doing this? Other than manually selecting both parts of each of the 169 circles and making a separate toolpath for each :open_mouth:
EDIT, forgot attachment:

(I can not see an SVG, but this should address your issue)

I rarely use meshcam for this reason. Most of my work is coming from Inventor, Solidworks, or Fusion anyway, so…

Try Fusion360 for this. Set out the hole pattern as a grid, then use the 2D adaptive. In the wasteboard, there is little need for fine finishing in the holes. Set stock to leave to 0 and the final finish will be OK and on size as well as it can be in beaverboard.

Rough process in fusion: make a solid to represent the wasteboard (make a sketch, draw a rectangle, finish sketch, then extrude to depth greater than the holes will go) New sketch for the holes. Place one hole, then use rectangular grid to place the rest. Close sketch and extrude as a cut. Select CAM context, 2dadaptive, select tool, get all of the holes (group select or individually… it isn’t that bad) and finish. THen generate the NC file.

If you have never used a 3d CAD, this is a pretty good starting point tool.

In (EDIT: the current version of) Carbide Create, in order to directly get efficient toolpaths one would have to select each hole and assign a toolpath operation to it.

There are post-processors which will fix this. List of them here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities — this will require that you connect to your machine and use Carbide Motion to get the plain text version: http://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/userguide/#load

Usually, I just take the time to assign the toolpaths — it’s a good chance to review the design and think about it one last time before committing.

This needed fix/update is being addressed in the next CC update.
( I don’t have a date, sorry)

4 Likes