Easy way to Optomize Tool Paths?

Is there any easy way to optomize tool paths using the Cardbide 3D software? I am milling out letters along an arc. The tool path starts at the left side of the arc, completes a letter and then moves to the opposite side of the arc and completes a letter. It keeps jumping back and fourth (left side of arc and then to right side of arc). It would be a more efficient use of time to work left to right (or vice versa). Thanks!

Not really.

One can do a Boolean operation and then manually create a multiplicity of toolpath which are optimal for geometry which is suited to that sort of thing — some paths that’s not an option.

There are utility programs which address this sort of thing at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities

Thanks for the help Will. Have you heard if whether tool path optimization is in an item Carbide is going to be improving soon?

The toolpath work seems to be derived from Meshcam, and meshcam has the same issues and is quite mature, so I wouldn’t count on it. I grew out of the Cabide tools and switched to Fusion360. Took some effort to learn, but the CAM is fantastic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.