Engraving bits from Amana

(BDH) #1

Anyone tried these engraving bits yet? https://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009-in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-replacement-solid-carbide-insert-knives.aspx

(Ed Wan) #2

I have a few insert bit from Amana, but not that one. I am very satisfied with their performance. I have looked at that one, but haven’t had a project for it.

(Craig) #3

I’ve been trying to understand the benefit of this type of cutter for a bench top unit. The cutter blades themselves are as much as a router bit, and with a 1/4" shank, overall options are limited.

For now, I think I will stay with my standard bits. If the cutters were reversible or offered multiple rotations for cost advantage, It would make sense.

(BDH) #4

Thanks for the replies. I’m mostly engraving logos and print on aluminum where a 30° point is great for 1/2 inch tall print and the logo but digs too deep on 1 inch print that gets too wide. I was hoping these would allow me to replace the insert as needed (30°, 60° or 90°) and not lose my Z axis. I haven’t had much luck with the stops for bits, so I hoped these would work.

(mikep) #5

They look nice, but I’m not sure you’ll actually save anything over using a non-insert tool. As @Lewscrew says given that 90 degree router bits in the $20 range already, and the knives for this are $20, seems like a lot of hassle. I think you’ll still need to reset your Z axis after changing an insert. It’s not a hard or time consuming thing to do.

(William Adams) #6

What do you mean by “stops for bits”?

(Craig) #7

Have you tried using a touch plate to set your Z zero reference?

(Phil Thien) #8

I imagine that for industrial users, the cost of the replacement tooling (purchased in quantity) comes down quite a bit and the total cost becomes very favorable.

Not so much for the little guy, though.

(mikep) #9

For normal indexable tooling, maybe, but these replacements aren’t normal indexable inserts.

(BDH) #10

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/stoprings1.html Sorry, stop rings or collars. I don’t know if there is another name for them

(Jerry Gray) #11

Thanks. I’ve been looking for those.

(Stuart) #12

I have a couple of those Amana cutters, and what I have noticed is they leave a far cleaner edge than any of the other options I’ve tried… including kyocera(quite reputable for quality endmills) and various Chinese cheapies. They aren’t cheap but if I’m doing something I want to look good, I use them

(Ed Wan) #13

Thats also been my experience. I can tell a quality difference They seem to have a tools for very specific materials and they do make a discernible difference. I used one of their O flutes on …250 extruded acrylic at 160 ipm cutting pockets and profiles. The finish was outstanding. I rarely cut MDF, but I just used their recommended compression bit for profiling some MDF at 100 ipm and the edge was perfect.