Engraving logos

I AM INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A NOMAD 883.However,I would like to know how fine a line I can it engrave.Thanks

1 Like

I dont have the Nomad, but you can engrave as fine as you want, depending on the depth you engrave, and how fine the bit is.

1 Like

@ronron I would imagine you could go fairly fine, but feed rates would become critical to avoid snapping the end mills. I watched a video of a guy cutting PCB boards with a Nomad and was blown away by the detail. It looked like he was using bits in THIS range. I’ll try to find the video.

2 Likes

It can engrave as fine a line as the smallest engraving bit you can purchase. You will have to be very mindful of your speeds and feeds running a very small diameter bit though.

2 Likes

Diamond drag engraving tool?

https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Overview#Engraving_Tool

2 Likes

Hi I am not too sure what snapping the end mill means.Thanks

They can be easy to break.

1 Like

Do you ?mean the engraving bit

Yes, small bits will break easily if pushed too hard. There are different bits that will work best for different jobs. A lot depends on what material you intend to be engraving and the type of engraving you want to do.

2 Likes

I’ve done logo and text engraving in Aluminum that turns out great. The trick is to get the part perfectly level. I use a dial indicator mounted to a bracket on my spindle. I can jog the dial indicator back and forth across the surface to make sure I have it within .003 inch flatness.

I’ve also used a “spring loaded” V bit end mill with good results; especially works great on uneven surfaces. Leveling doesn’t need to be perfect. Here’s a pic where I engraved on a piece of quartz.

2 Likes

Where did you find the spring loaded v-bit?

I have a floating engraving tool kit from cnc-aid.cm

7 Likes

Thanks. Have been looking for something like this.