First time with diamond drag bit

(John Clark) #1

This is my first effort with a diamond drag bit on some granite tile from the home depot.

I posted it over in the Shapeoko facebook group and forgot to post it here. I am pretty pleased with it, but the SVG could really use some cleanup before I run it again. It would also be great to find a solid black tile, but as I have recently learned, a diamond drag bit does exactly squat to glazed ceramic tile. Live and learn.

Going to play with some slate next.

(Mad Hatter) #2

That looks great! I’ve done a few things with my DDE bit, but nothing I’m willing to post yet. . .

What did you use to generate the gcode?

(John Clark) #3

The original design is from a Doctor Who coloring book. I took a picture and imported it into Inkscape. I then used the trace feature and turned it into a set of paths. Export to SVG and presto. From there it was just Carbide Create for some final cleanup and into Carbide Motion.

(Jason) #4

I love using mine. I found as well that ceramic doesn’t work. I have done glass, aluminum, and granite. Looks good. I did these for a friend that wanted some jumbo coasters for an outdoor patio table.

(John Clark) #5

Have you been doing multiple passes on yours? I am curious how many. or is it just thicker lines with a stepover?

(Mad Hatter) #6

I have had DDE bits for over a year now, but finally got around to using them.

And on that note, I just finished cutting a test piece to find out what settings are needed to get 3-4 different levels of shading like a “grayscale” image instead of having to engrave just “Black and White” images.

(Jason) #7

I could explain it, but I think MadHatter did a bang up job with his post.

(Jason) #8

did you coat your tiles with something?

(Mad Hatter) #9

No. That is just a $3.00 “Absolute Black” granite floor tile. They were on sale because they have two polished edges and they aren’t selling well, so I got a deal on them.

It is a 90deg bit from http://benchtopprecision.com/ in my router (turned off). and a 0.10in plunge depth.

I just engrave it and wash it off and let it dry.

(Mad Hatter) #10

I just bought the Makita wet tile polisher to do the edges, and with two already done, I am half way there. I plan on putting white marble 2" hexagons under it for feet, with a 1.5" neoprene foam pad under that for a nice trivet for the kitchen. We have had a similar one right next to the stove made of blue granite for ~8 years, so I am sure these will hold up fine.

(Jason Morgan) #11

Do you have to use Vcarve or Aspire for this or could it be done in CC?

Also, which particular bits work? I am interested in trying it, but would like to keep startup costs low (below $50?)

(Mad Hatter) #12

I am using Vectric V-Carve desktop, but I am sure there are other programs to generate the different paths for diamond drag engraving (DDE).

I do not use CC, so I cannot comment on it. I started using Inkscape and Makercam since everything I am doing is 2D, and now I am so comfortable with that process, I am hesitant to find something new.

With V-Carve, I still do all my 2D design in Inkscape, and then import the SVG file into V-Carve to generate the tool paths.

I figure one day I will learn how to use V-Carve properly and fully, but that day is not today.

Regarding the DDE bit, I believe the one from benchtopprecison.com is the least expensive one I have seen online. The WidgetWorks one is 3x as much. I have the one from benchtopprecision and I really like it.

(Dan Nelson) #13

I have done it in CC. Certainly a little easier in VCarve, but CC will do it too. Here’s a flag I did:

You basically treat it as a very small end mill. Settings are posted in that post. My drag bit was $50 off eBay.

Dan