First try on V-Bit engraving on Gravity Chopsticks


(Dang) #1

Just did a test engraving on my Gravity Chopsticks! My Nomad is pretty accurate. First try turned out pretty good. Going to have to run 100+ pieces for my Kickstarter rewards.

I used a 90 degree V-Bit from precisebits http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/scoreengrave.asp

I have a delrin tray milled out to squeeze the chopstick handle into. I still need to figure out a good way to pull it out of the tray without damaging the aluminum part. :sweat:

I imported my logo (svg) into Carbide Create and ran the contour path. For the text I used Carbide Create text tool right out of the box. Also with contour path.

Will run a few test parts through nickel plating finish and see how it turns out.








#2

Are you engraving the pointed end of the aluminium? if not could you just machine a big pocket on that side of your jig? this means that you could get your fingers around the part to pull it out quickly :slight_smile:

Awesome Project!


(Dang) #3

I’m only engraving the wide side of the aluminum. This is the first piece so I’ll figure out a good way to pull it out without damaging the part. :grin:


(Kathleen Krucoff) #4

Looks great. Thanks for the link for the V-Bit. May I ask what your plunge setting was? I liked the depth and appearance of what you did. Thanks.


(J. Watkins) #5

@designxtek Hi, I know this is an older thread but I was just curious how your project turned out and if you made any changes to your setup? When I saw the chopstick in the form I immediately thought of the little red tab that hangs out of the battery compartment on toys. I think I’d drop a piece of fishing line or something else thing and strong in the pocket before setting the engraving item and use that to remove the item once done.


(Dang) #6

Hi @AZArtisan I ended up making pockets around the sides of the handles. It made it a snug fit and easy to remove with my bare fingers. Engraving doesn’t push the handles around at all. A comfortable slot fit is good enough. My original slot was too tight so by making huge pockets around the side for grabbing fixed my problem.


(Dang) #7

sorry for the super late response. Here is the screenshot of my setup:


(Kathleen Krucoff) #8

Thank you! :slight_smile:


(J. Watkins) #9

Very cool, thanks for sharing!