Fixing the tramming issue on shapoko 3

Evening all - as I continue my quest for a upgraded DIY Z. I think I might have fixed the issue with tramming on the shapeoko 3. Best of all it’s a DIY solution and will cost you virtually nothing but a small piece of aluminium, 4 screws and 2 escentric nuts.

As many will know it’s a pain in the bum to get to the screws of the rear spindle mount - then adjust them, back and forth etc.

The shapeoko has a great way of dealing with tram but it’s not actually called tram in this instance - it’s track tension. So what happens when you pull their track tension method and apply it to a different design?

See attached picture. I have made a rear mounted spindle plate - this fixes to 4 M5 mounting screws on the carriage plate. Now there are 2 ways you can tackle it - lob 4 screws in and adjust as you see fit - really boring and whilst slightly better than the stock way as it’s front mounted it’s not inspiring.

The other way is to put 2 screws with eccentric nuts in the top 2 holes. Now this won’t work if they are round as they would pull in opposite directions. However by extending the holes to be elongated this allows the mount to move a couple of ml in either direction by a couple of mm

You can now raise or lower either side which will allow you tram left and right.

You can then fit the other 2 screws in the bottom holes and tighten locking it in situ - then tighten the first two fully if required. Forward/backward tram would still have to be done with shims.

This will work on any shapeoko but you will need to drill some holes in your font plate - there is space.

Fusion files:

http://a360.co/2FElPmx

How it mounts…

9 Likes

Just thanks Luke, always keen to check out your developments. Jude

I asked @TommyG to model this so people can see the effect this has.

Obviously right and left nuts have a side by side effect.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.