Flattening waste board - carbide create help

Hey gents - I need some help :slight_smile:

Issue - no idea how to create (2) files - please see below.

Equipment:
Shapeoko XXL
3/4" Bottom Cleaning Bit

What I’ve done so far:

I copied the XXL waste-board kit from the online Carbide store with locally sourced track and MDF I had on hand. My waste-board covers the entire deck, which I’ve learned will leave a ‘ridge’ marking the X/Y boundaries one I run the levelling function.

To eliminate this, it was suggested that I run a 32"x32" ‘square’ in Carbide Create to give me a thin outline as reference. From there, unscrew my existing waste-board and then trim off the ‘out of bounds’ area with a table-saw, re-mount to my XXL base and then run a levelling function.

I’m guessing that this will take 2 separate files in Carbide Create - one to mark the perimeter with a light pass and another for the actual levelling process once I have my waste-board trimmed and reinstalled.

1. For the first operation (perimeter cut), I’ve created a new file in Carbide Create setting ‘stock size’ to 32 x 32.

2. For ‘stock thickness’ I set it to .75 (3/4" MDF) - dropdown is set to ‘top’ but I don’t know if this is right.

3. Toolpath Zero - set to ‘Lower Left’

4. Material - set to MDF-Wood

5. Machine set to SH. XXL - ‘retract Height’ set to default 10mm (no idea if this is suitable / what this means).

Then I created a rectangle at 32 by 32, X/Y are set to 16".

This is as far as I’ve gotten. I have no idea what to enter in the ‘Toolpath’ tab or how to run the next file for actually levelling the board.

I appreciate any help. ‘Dumbing down’ is highly encouraged. Thanks!!

A couple of issues here:

Retract height is the height to which the machine will retract in-between passes — see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carbidecreate/video-tutorials/#toolpaths for a discussion of this and https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Glossary for terminology

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Will.

RE

…having a wasteboard which is only the working area will result in an island which is awkward to clamp to.

Can you explain further why this may pose a problem?

As a note, my current WB fills the entire stock base (as per the ‘kit’). I have T-Track running front to back (4 lengths) spaced ~4" from the outermost strips and ~10" between (again, as per the kit).

My intention after cutting the outermost perimeter (making the island) was to maintain these T-tracks, but trim them down. I believe you mentioned in another post to let the tracks extend slightly beyond the WB.

This all said, do you still foresee clamping to be a problem?

Usually when clamping you want a level surface — material will also be flatter / chatter less is fully supported — with the island you’ll want to shim clamps and materials if they are larger than the working area.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.