For Sale: Nomad 883 Pro Custom Enclosure

This is a custom enclosure for the Nomad 883 Pro. It was designed for dust isolation, a vacuum system, LED lighting, and sound suppression. This includes the internal video camera for watching machining in progress. The top and sides of Nomad 883 are removed before insertion to obtain the maximum sound suppression.

$850. SF Bay area.

mark

1 Like

This is a sweet enclosure! Do you have some in-process pictures of how you built it? How much noise does it make compared to the original enclosure?

You’ll notice that the sides and top of the Nomad 883 are removed. This is important as:

A) It is easy to do and they are easy to put back on.
B) this INCREASES the amount of noise suppression.

With the door closed a milling Nomad 883 is about 52-53 dBa - 10 dBa or more less than the original enclosure.

I didn’t take any incremental build photos - I should have - as it is so simple. The frame is T-slots with Alumalite walls. The Alumalite walls are installed with T-Slot seal inserts. Once things are cut, it only takes a few minutes to put the whole thing together. The inside is Whispermat 1 bonded to the sides via 3M adhesive; aluminum strips are them added around the periphery via screws to ensure retention.

The enclosure is capable 50 dBa simply by adding seals around the door. It was quite enough - for me - but it would trivial to add seals and get the additional quieting.

The final version of the enclosure moved the LED bars in the from to the sides at the top - easier to get things in and out of the enclosure. The camera is attached to the top via the installation bolt that came with it.

Enclosure design is a bit of an art and a lot of science. The good news is that most of enclosure design can be reduced to working principals and, if followed, one can achieve amazing levels of noise suppression.

@MrHume is building a design I came up with for his Nomad. It uses a wood aesthetic - I have an industrial aesthetic - and should achieve equal levels of suppression.

I’ll be happy to help anyone with enclosure design, especially if there interested in extreme noise suppression and are willing to spend “a bit more” to get (so as to afford the best materials).

I’ve been working on an “extreme” enclosure - 30 dBa of suppression - recently. It’s not cheap, but it’s AWESOME. The enclosure sits on a separate stand. It’s all about MASS, LAYERS, and effective use of materials. The walls are 3.5" thick and have 5 layers of sound suppression - outer skin, Green Glue - inner skin, Accustiblock, Quiet Fiber. Here is a peak at the work in progress:

Table:

0.25" Accustiblock (superior to MLV) layer (the 2" Quiet Fiber batts can be seen above):

2" Quiet Fiber inserts:

No need for Quiet Fiber on the bottom - the deck of the CNC machine will reflect most of the sound up and towards the sides. Anything that comes back from those areas will be severely attenuated and will not survive passing through the walls.

The machine will sit on 30 Duro Sorbothane isolators to kill the to low frequency vibrations that the mass doesn’t.

mark

4 Likes

Thank you!! I’d very much be interested in talking with you more about working together on a design for the prototyping lab that I run. We’re in a room that’s about as bad acoustically as you can get: brick walls, rectangular room shape with an open roof, glass panel windows, etc… On top of that we’re trying to do loud things like CNC work without bothering the folks working in the main space. Feel free to PM me and we can work out a time to talk on the phone or whatever works for you. I’d really appreciate it! We’re looking into Acoustiblock and some other sound suppression methods and have a little bit of budget to work with.

I’ve still got the enclosure for sale. I’m willing to discuss lowering the price, especially if someone in the SF bay area is interested (no shipping).

mark