Fusion 360 Adaptive settings?

(Don Becker) #1

Hi,

I’m trying to take advantage of the 2D Adaptive feature in Fusion 360 on my Nomad 883 Pro.

Material is Aluminum 6061, and I’m using the 1/8" Carbide Endmill.

I’ve tried to use G-Wizard to calc out the settings, but it seems that they don’t translate well when it comes to 2D Adaptive. I’m lost on how G-Wizard can help.

Here are some of the settings that I think translate:

Spindle: 9200 RPM
Feedrate: 8 IPM
Plunge Feedrate 1 IPM

…but other posts have indicated much higher feedrates when using 2D Adaptive. What feedrate should I use?

"Optimal Load"
On another post someone mentioned this should be set to 40% of diameter:
.125 * .4 = 0.05

I am confused has to how this works out to depth of cut.

For the part I am trying to face the top of, if I leave “Multiple Depths” unchecked, it will be taking a pass around .375" depth.

If I check “Multiple Depths” and set it to the standard Feeds&Speeds setting, it would be .010". I’m not clear on how adaptive would be any better here as I wouldn’t be doing a deep cut.

tl;dr Does anyone have some tested settings for facing 6061 aluminum with a 1/8" Endmill using 2D Adaptive in Fusion 360?

(Paul) #2

I don’t have the exact feeds to hand but iirc I had good results with 1.5 mm doc at about 500mm/min with 0.4mm optimal load with the carbide 1/8 inch endmill (dry cut but with good chip clearance). Make sure you ramp in and don’t forget to leave a small amount of stock and do a slow finish pass.

If you search the nomad forum for aluminium you will find a couple of others that used similar speeds (they have the Imperial speeds to to save you converting).

(Don Becker) #3

Hi Paul, where are you setting DOC when using 2D Adaptive?

My understanding was that 2D Adaptive was intended to use full length flute engagement, is that incorrect?

(Paul) #4

Depth of cut is set by using multiple depths (set the max). Full length flute engagement might be intended, but for a deep cut this might be too much for the nomad. I haven’t experimented much with it so let us know how deep you can get good results with.

(Paul) #5

Here is the link to remmy’s post where he lists his settings