Fusion 360 GRBL post update for v1.1

tklus over on the Shapeoko forums asked:

please vote this up guys so we can get the post team to make the changes to support GRBL v1.1 laser modes.

(and presumably the balance of Grbl 1.1?)

5 Likes

I was just about to post something on thisā€¦uhā€¦post (processor). I followed your link, @WillAdams and it turns out that the status was changed to ā€œImplementedā€ on 3/3. I just downloaded it and am going to have a go. Hereā€™s the page with the dl link for anyone else out there that might be interested:

https://cam.autodesk.com/posts/?p=grbl_laser

I just added a 5.5W Ultraviolet laser to my S3XXL last night, so this is an incredibly timely update.

Update:
So far not so good. Iā€™m having trouble finding an operation that the PP supports. Hereā€™s the output:

Information: Configuration: Generic Grbl Laser
Information: Vendor: grbl
Information: Posting intermediate data to 'D:\CNC\Projects\Laser Tests\Exatron_e_03.ncā€™
Error: Failed to post process. See below for details.
ā€¦
Code page changed to '1252 (ANSI - Latin I)'
Start time: Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:41:39 AM
Code page changed to '20127 (US-ASCII)'
Post processor engine: 4.2.1 41279
Configuration path: D:\CNC\Post Processors\grbl_laser_Post_Processor_for_F360.cps
Include paths: D:\CNC\Post Processors
Configuration modification date: Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:08:54 AM
Output path: D:\CNC\Projects\Laser Tests\Exatron_e_03.nc
Checksum of intermediate NC data: 072b89d8ad0afac2e1344681af021d36
Checksum of configuration: 43e96a0a49b71f0dceabd847581136e6
Vendor url: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki
Legal: Copyright Ā© 2012-2017 by Autodesk, Inc.
Generated by: Fusion 360 CAM 2.0.2727
ā€¦
Error: Milling toolpath is not supported by the post configuration.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error: Failed to invoke ā€˜onOpenā€™ in the post configuration.
**Error: **
Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:41:39 AM
Post processing failed.

Still no luck getting that post to work. Has anyone else had an opportunity to look at it, or maybe know what kind of operation other than a ā€œMilling toolpathā€ it might expect from F360? Iā€™m trying out the Smoothie Mill/Laser post for the time being, and did get a successful etch, but the files are requiring a bit of cleanup before running them.

Update: I may have answered my own question regarding toolpath types in that I donā€™t think I have waterjet/laser support enabled in Fusion 360. Iā€™ll report back.