Gcode for tramming a spoilboard

I need to surface a spoil board for my SO3 XXL, I plan to use a 1.25 inch Freud mortising bit. I need advice on how to create a g-code for this. My SO3 has a Makita spindle, what speed setting (rpm) should I use.

1 Like

Please see

1 Like

If your cutter is indeed center cutting (which means it can be plunged) then you can just create a pocket operation for the desired size and depth, then save the gcode right out of Carbide Create, as shown in the article @WillAdams linked to.

I only ask because I have a 1-1/2" fly cutter (1/4" shank) that works well for this sort of thing, but it isn’t center cutting, so all of the passes need to enter horizontally at the target depth. In order to make it work, I had to write the gcode the last time I used it. If this is something that would be useful to others, I’d be glad to post it.

-Edward

1 Like

I used a Craftsman 3/4 straight router bit for mine. There are way better tools for this, but this is what I have. I added the straight bit to the CC library and set it to pocket. I also drew out a grid on the spoil board so that I could see.
This worked well for me, but then again Im still a noob learning. lol. I will eventually get around to getting a fly cutter.

1 Like