GCode Sender which can pause job over local wifi network?

I am using Motion v.3 at the moment. Just curious what is out there which would allow pausing of the job from a remote room by using a wifi network? I saw Octoprint CNC on the wiki but the link is dead and it seems they might just make software to run a 3D printer now. That had some really interesting abilities though of webcam monitoring and remote control from another room.

I can’t always be sitting next to the machine for hours on end. Right now I monitor the machine over my wifi network and an old iPhone as a webcam. Would be great if there is a way to have limited ability to at least pause a job from running if something happens. Nothing crazy technical ( i.e. If I have to know something above and beyond loading a piece of software that will allow this to happen, I’m probably not going to use it ). Is there a solution out there which is plug and play friendly or is this all stuff you have to hack on your own?

lol… if there is no perfect answer for my request… it just dawned on me that maybe I can install a remote desktop control app on my phone… hmmm

Well looks like JUMP DESKTOP might be exactly what I am looking for.

I have not used it, but some folks on the forum are familiar with CNCJS. That might be an option as well, but I’m not sure.
https://cnc.js.org/docs/

Most of the instances I have seen of it in use are on Raspberry Pi, but it says it works on other computers as well?

1 Like

Or, Splashtop personal, free, I’ve been using it for years. Works really well with my iPad. Or iPhone.

I’ll be setting up a RPi/camera to monitor my printer and SO3. As soon as I noodle out how they all work together.

I even slapped together a hybrid case, oak/hdpe, for the Pi. Camera mount is for v1.1.

3 Likes

Or, when motion v4 is running, connect to the web service (yourmachine_ip_or_name:8080) and you’ll have a remote pendant that works pretty well.

2 Likes

Mike, CM4 has this function built into it? I must have missed that when I was looking at the description of CM4 on the Carbide website. That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. While I like the interfaces of some of the other gCode controllers better than what CM4 has, I would like to stay with what Carbide provides direct support for.

I’ll take a look at it. Thx!

Yes, it’s built into CM4. It doesn’t show up in any of the documentation or anything, I found it by accident. Works really nicely though. Does require that you be running GRBL 1.1

UGS has a “pendant” mode that will do the same thing.

2 Likes

Is this something you have to turn on by entering some code? Not seeing where this might be in the CM4 menu

It’s actually an intrinsic part of CM4’s architecture — it just runs, and I believe it’s a separate process from the front-end / GUI which actually is a series of HTML pages connecting to it.

I have all of my 3d printers and Shapeokos on wifi outlets so I can turn them off at anytime from anywhere. I also have wifi security cams on them so I can view them as well. As I am in and out of the house a lot, it helps that I can quickly glance at the progress and shut everything down if need be.

Is this functionality explained anywhere in documents?

1 Like