Getting an offset with double sided board

Just started playing with Carbide copper, but I’m running into a problem with the backside mirror feature. All the features on the backside are ending up shifted by about 0.1" in the horizontal. At first I thought the problem was on my end, but I verified that the “preview” in carbide copper was showing the holes shifted just like they were coming out on the board. I verified this discrepancy by comparing two graphics - the first one a picture of the back side mirrored by Copper, and then a picture of the backside loaded as the top side (not mirrored by Copper), but then mirrored with Inkscape. Comparing the two images definitely showed the difference. So apparently there’s something going on with the mirror feature.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this with their boards?

2 Likes

I just tried a double sided board for the first time and encountered the exact same thing! Came onto the forum to see if anybody had experienced it before & had any tips to avoid it (my first assumption was that it’s a user error of some kind to do with zero’ing the work).

Did you figure it out in the end?

1 Like

Nope, I didn’t get it to work. I think what’s happening is instead of using the zero from my gerber file, it’s using the first feature it runs into and sets that as zero. I ran into the same problem when I tried pcb2gcode. I finally went with FlatCAM. The workflow is really awkward, but once I got the hang of it, I was churning out really nice double sided boards on the Shapeoko. If Carbide3d gets this issue straightened out I’ll be happy to try it again.

3 Likes

I have a separate issue presently, but this will likely be next on the list. I’ll say that I started poking around with FlatCam and it is about as confusing as it gets so I’ll have to play with it and see what I can do I suppose.

We’re getting this same issue, hopefully it gets solved, it’s already a few years since reported…