GRBL Error...Max characters per line

Max characters per line exceeded. Line was not processed and executed.

I’m stuck. After getting this message on the detail job for a 3d project I received this just as the job started. I went back and recreated the Gcode using Carve Pro v9. Same thing happened again.

Any help is appreciated. I’m stuck and need to finish this job asap.

Thanks,

Ric

Which post-processor are you using?

Are you moving the file around via e-mail or FTP?

What does it look like in a text editor?

1 Like

Can you share the V-Carve file and/or gcode giving you trouble?

I’m using the Shapeoko (inch) post processor out of Vcarve Pro v9.509. I pulled it up in Notepad but I’m not experienced enough to know what it should look like.
It’s a 12mb file and I’ve only posted to Vectrics large file email just now.

I’m not sure how to post this file here.

Will,
One of the lines in the Gcode is:

G1X9.0012Y8.8509Z-0.2935F40.0

It appears that the last part of that makes the line too long (F40.0)

If I understand it correctly this F40 represents feed rate. can I edit this out to fix this issue?

Please try the metric one instead.

I’ve used the Shapeoko one w/ no problem. The community has some notes / links at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Commercial_Software#2.5D_CAM

The thing is:

G1X9.0012Y8.8509Z-0.2935F40.0

is only 29 characters and the limit is 70.

What line does the error occur at? I’d also check that the USB cables aren’t being disturbed (put weights on them at either end and don’t move your computer), and verify that EMI isn’t a problem.

Are you using Carbide Motion to send?

Try the “Shapeoko (mm)” post processor instead. I’d seen something about it being more efficient and I’m using it so far without issue.

1 Like

Good point. Specifically:

Vectric has included a “post-processor” for the Shapeoko (a pair of them actually, one for Imperial measure, one for metric) since v8.5 — please let us know if you have any difficulties accessing them. Their “install” procedure is to move the one you want to move into a specific directory and then that one will be used and the others ignored:

“C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_inch.pp”
​"C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_mm.pp"

​​copy whichever of those you would prefer to use into
​​C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\My_PostP
and then it’ll be the only one you see.

Under 9.5 I can select which I want form the menu and it remembers it

1 Like

I basically just created the Shapeoko (mm) gcode. this worked…I’m not sure what the issue is but I’ll stick to the output from now on. Thanks to all who helped. Will Adams, you are the man!

ric

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.