Help ! Carbide Motion has washed out and missing text

At present this software is unusable. I installed the latest version V3 Build 356 for Widows. Running on Windows 7 Home Premium / laptop. Cannot read anything so I am afraid of pushing blank buttons and crashing my machine. Does anyone have a solution. Thanks !

Try updating OpenGL and your video card driver.

If that doesn’t help, contact support@carbide3d.com and let them know your system specifics.

Other possibilities: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Interpreters

Thanks. Ran the Intel driver update utility and I already have the latest driver. I guess this machine and chipset is just too old.

Windows 7 can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free - at least for a while longer. I would seriously recommend that you consider/take the upgrade. New drivers and such abound (and a few bugs that hopefully one won’t run into).

mark

Thanks Mark. I wanted to be free from this issue, so I just bit the bullet and went out and purchased a new Lenovo laptop Ideapad 100 with Windows 10 Home installed.

Believe it or not, now the problems are worse. The software installs but will not even load I get errors stating that MSVCR120.dll and MSVCP120.dll are missing. Even though they are both in the Windows/System32 folder. Rob from Carbide 3D has been sending some suggestions to try but so far, nothing is working.

Does the computer need to be connected to the Nomad device when installing software for everything to work? I have tried both ways? Thanks.

Believe it or not, now the problems are worse.

OUCH!

Does the computer need to be connected to the Nomad device when installing software for everything to work? I have tried both ways? Thanks.

No, installation doesn’t require the Nomad to be connected.

C3D and others may be able to help. My Windows 10 runs in a virtual machine and doesn’t talk to my Nomad (Mac user here).

mark

Happy to report issue is now resolved thanks to Rob Z. from C3D. Rob provided another link to the x86 Microsoft Visual C++ packages and after downloading and installing, the software is loading, displaying properly, and connecting/controlling the Nomad correctly.

What a relief. Thank you Rob !

@popscustomclips, did your CM look like my screenshot in Carbide Motion Test/Beta ? If so, I’d appreciate the VC++ link so I could give it a try.

Thanks

Randy

Knowledgebase article on the missing / uninstalled files: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/74-missing-msvcp120-dll

I don’t believe they help w/ on-screen appearance, just allow the program to run.

It was actually much worse than your screenshot. Text, especially over all buttons, was missing or unreadable. Here is what Rob sent me:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just a shot in the dark here but can you install the X86 and X64 version of the redistributable from the following location:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Please do this with Carbide Motion already installed so that anything corrupted can be overridden.

Rob Grzesek
support@carbide3d.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hope this helps you.

Thank you. Yes, this was the fix that Rob provided me and it worked. Problem resolved.

UGH! If I had to do that to run my SO3 I’d look for a new CNC platform. Windows 7 is the last version of Windows I will ever use.

Not a good idea on an older machine in any case.

@popscustomclips, thank you for the link. It turns out that I already had that version, and reinstalling it didn’t help in my case.

+1 for staying with Win7, @rwizard

Randy

UGH! If I had to do that to run my SO3 I’d look for a new CNC platform. Windows 7 is the last version of Windows I will ever use.

You’re welcome to your opinion. I’m familiar with this, especially because many CNC companies stayed with Windows 7 as Windows 8 and 8.1 disastrously rolled out.

While a Mac user, I run many CNC machines under Windows 10, even on modest machines. I’m no friend of Windows, but I have to run it as a perform for many CNC, CAD, and CAM related activities with no issues. I don’t run CC or CM on Windows though.

Stability, performance, and support are pushing things along… not to mention it’s growing impossible to by Windows 7.

Yes, Linux is more than capable. Tormach switched to it now long ago.

mark

Mark,

Switching the OS with little to no compelling reason does not comport with the sort of methodical troubleshooting methods I have found to be productive over the past 40+ years in the field. Given the fact that three of my neighbors have come to me for help when the Win 10 upgrade broke stuff, it really isn’t something I’d want to insert into the middle of troubleshooting a problem with an application. Perhaps you are made of sterner stuff than I, and have a higher pain threshold. :slight_smile:

YMMV.

Debugging a problem on a OS that left the official support channel over a year ago IS a compelling reason in my book. YMMV

Especially one that no longer has any security patches - and it’s connected to the Internet. YMMV.

I have found to be productive over the past 40+ years in the field

Been there! Done that! :joy:

I’m a Mac user and I’ve had far fewer upgrade issues than many Windows users seem to. But…

Given the fact that three of my neighbors have come to me for help when the Win 10 upgrade broke stuff

Given that I’ve got tens of thousands of customers who upgraded (including 975+ of the Fortune 1000) and virtually none of them had a single issue… :smiling_imp:

Seriously, many things about Windows 10 are far superior to Windows 7 (and certainly 8 and 8.1!) - performance, size, reliability, security, support. Many strange and unusual problems that showed on Windows 7 and before just disappeared.

Not a single one of my CAD, CAM, or CNC tools had an issues. All of those I know didn’t have any issue either.

I can’t speak to CM or CC in Windows. I don’t run them there.

In my original posting I did say:

(and a few bugs that hopefully one won’t run into).

Yes, any change may introduce new bugs.

Perhaps you are made of sterner stuff than I, and have a higher pain threshold. :slight_smile:

I very well might. :joy:

mark

P.S.

My main motivation for the original post was that the free upgrade offer will end soon (unless it is extended) and, for many, it is well worth doing (even if they have to spec US $3-6 for a utility that EXACTLY puts back the Windows 7 Start).

We’re not really disagreeing… but Windows 10 runtimes have quite a few bug fixes in them that have not been taken back to Windows 7.

Hi everyone,

I am actually also encountering the same problem as well - I have a Surface running Windows 10 Pro. CM and MC run great but I can’t see the text in the buttons or menu. I was going to test Carbide Create but it is difficult to navigate the SW without the text.

I’ve tried downloading the Microsoft libraries but no such luck.

Any other tips?

Thanks

Thomas,
I had the same issues on a laptop running Windows 10. See above thread. Really, I wasn’t able to get the issue resolved until I contact Rob Z at Carbide 3D. Somehow he had me download the drivers from a particular location and it worked. I am pretty confident he can help.

Best of luck from someone who has been there!
John