I bought my XXL nearly a month ago, and have yet to get it to work correctly. I’ve been working with Carbide support throughout this period. I ended up buying Vcarve Pro, because it has features I wanted to use - and I like the interface much better.
Here are the issues I face:
- The unit was square when I built it, and now one side is about an inch out from the other side, when positioned all the way to the rear. Yes all the screws were tightened - I checked.
- The unit has never homed correctly the 1st time it tries to home. It goes all the way to the rear, the Z goes all the way to the top, and then it start moving to the right and stops maybe 6-8" from the right stop switch. I have to power cycle the unit to get it to finish homing.
- They sent me a replacement board because the feeling was the original was experiencing issues. The new board would not move the steppers at all (not even the initial jump when you turn the power on), and none of my laptops would recognize the port being available.
- I put the original board back in and finally got the firmware to upgrade to 1.1. For about a week the upgraded firmware allowed the device to home, but as of this week it is doing the same thing again.
- The upgraded firmware on the original board no longer allows the unit to travel all the way to the left anymore, so I love maybe 4 inches of use on that side.
- The unit will flip out and begin cutting in random spots, at random depths, it has already drilled down in to the frame of the unit before I could stop it. I have stopped the job and started it again, and without any changes, it starts working at the correct spot.
- I get the occasional door open error… when no door is open.
- I get cycle aborted quit often.
- I’ll set the zero and start a job, it will move to the job and drill… then only lift slightly and drag the bit across my work, ruining it. I stop and restart, and it works correctly. This tells me it cannot be the job, since I am reloading the exact same gcode.
Attached are files from the run I did last night. I’m also providing a link to a video of a different job that freaked out.
Do any of you with pro knowledge of the unit live near Minneapolis? I would welcome someone to come over and give me a hand. I have a ton of projects that I cannot start until the machine is reliable.