How to add tools to Carbide Wizard in MeshCAM

Continuing the discussion from How to import Carbide3d numbered tools into Meshcam?:

Continuing the discussion from Meshcam tool selection:

Sorry for the delayed response in posting this.

The tools are defined in the LUA script file carbide-wizard.lua which is located in the $MeshCAMInstall$/scripts/carbide/ folder.

Edit the file, and you will see a section where you build a table of cutters with features. Mine now looks as follows:

--------------------------
--Initialize Cutters----
--------------------------

local cutters = {}
table.insert(cutters,{ number=101,	mm = false,	diameter=.1250,	length=.75,	shaft=.125,	ball=true,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".125 Inch Ball" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=102,	mm = false,	diameter=.1250,	length=.75,	shaft=.125,	ball=false,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".125 Inch Flat" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=111,	mm = false,	diameter=.0625,	length=.25,	shaft=.125,	ball=true,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".0625 Inch Ball" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=112,	mm = false,	diameter=.0625,	length=.25,	shaft=.125,	ball=false,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".0625 Inch Flat" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=121,	mm = false,	diameter=.032,	length=.063,	shaft=.125,	ball=true,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".032 Inch Ball" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=122,	mm = false,	diameter=.032,	length=.063,	shaft=.125,	ball=false,	numTeeth=2,	desc=".032 Inch Flat" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=201,	mm = false,	diameter=.25,	length=.75,	shaft=.25,	ball=true,	numTeeth=3,	desc=".25 Inch Ball" })
table.insert(cutters,{ number=202,	mm = false,	diameter=.25,	length=.75,	shaft=.25,	ball=false,	numTeeth=3,	desc=".25 Inch Flat" })
3 Likes

Thanks a million @FlatBaller! This is exactly what I was looking for. For a total noooob. This helps a lot!

MrJJ

Wut wut wut?!? I want this for MeshCAM’s own tool list! :astonished: There is no way to directly edit that outside MeshCAM, since it is not a text file.

Seriously, great find, @FlatBaller

Randy

I tried running the script within MeshCam, but it is not importing the cutters… What am I doing wrong?
I guess I will have to put them in manually…Dammit!

Thanks
MrJJ

How did you edit the file?
Once you add the extra tool lines they should show up in the carbide wizard dropdown.

oh, I see now… I have been trying to use the generate toolpath button on the main menu… Like I said… @MrJJ is a total noob! :smile:

Thanks for this, it’s great to know where this info goes.

However, I think there are few issues with this list:

• The default length for 101 and 102 tools do not match the actual parts I received from Carbide3D. While the website store and the defaults in MeshCAM advertise a length of .75, the actual parts packaging says the length is .5 and the actual bit when measured is .5.
  • The 201 and 202 are inverted. Contrary to the 1xx series, the 201 is the Flat/Square tool and the 202 and the Ball one. that info is consistent both on the website and the parts I received. In the 1xx series, the xx1 tools are Ball and the xx2 tools are Flat/Square.

That said, I’m new to all this. So it would be great is someone with more experience could confirm.

Karim

2 Likes

Did you ever get an answer?