If lift the S3 500mm to feed big objects from underneath, will it be stable enough? how to do so?

Start building, you’re the only one who will know if its good because you don’t even have the same base platform we use.

Good luck. It’s not rocket science

allright. will make a list and start ordering steel.

I would probably go with around 1/8th thick wall. It’s one of those things that overbuilt wont hurt. Alignment is the most important thing.

Maybe think about a multi piece design that bolts together. It will be relatively easy to keep the bases flat during fabrication. And a bolt together table would be much easier to adjust and modify.

1 Like

what’s the benefit of bolding, rather then welding?

i don’t have a drillpress tho, drilling holes will be pain i think

A regular battery powered hand drill will work just fine.

i tried once cutting 5mm steel and it took me really a long long time, even with a steel drinn. was 1/2 inch drill. maybe i had wrong technique.

• Start with a 1/8" drill to get the hole in the perfect spot, then increase drill size to 1/4" then 1/2".

Small drill bit = high rpm,
big drill bit = low rpm

• Position the material so you can get a lot of weight on the drill, and use tapping oil or wd40.

I did a job at work where we used a tool like this, which saved a huge amount of time and effort. This is an Australian brand called ‘drill mate’
Screenshot_20181024-190716_Chrome

2 Likes

i’ll make the plan, buy steel plates and bars and let wifes uncle do. cost me 20$. it’s easiest way i think

i will take the top steel plate, it’s 24x25, cut a 17" diameter circle in the middle. then i’ll bolt it down on 3 or 4 points per side with the carveking bed.

then ill make the same cut on the carveking, through the bed and the mountrails of the bed.

then i just need to weld the steelplate onto my table construction.

under the hanging plate i will have screws, so i can put my pieces onto it and then adjust the height to feed it towards the bed till the correct height is reached. the hanging plate is 19x19". i think i need some walls left and right so i can push into my pieces to hold them tight into position.

here is the 3d file. feel free to use it or improve it

https://a360.co/2Rb0emT

2 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but, what is going to hold your “vase” in place? :smiley:
I see how you are going to raise and lower it, but that doesn’t look as rigid as the basic frame.

i might put a wall left and right with 3 led screws , left, middle, right on the wall. then i can push them into towards the vase to hold it there

but i figured already, that with big objects (as i wanna do) i wont expose enough towards the endmill as the bed is 1.53" high

no idea what to do.

allright. figured out. i will remove the bed from my carveking and replace with steel frame.

then i can mount the original front and backframe of the carveking to my new steelbed, same positions as before.

should be massively stable.
will use 1.5x1.5" and 2x3" with 1/8" thickness.

steelplate like 1/4" thick propably, just weight, for staying steady.

if that won’t work, i need buy shapeoko :smiley:

hey guys, i did it.
currently working on a solution to mount my vase and bowls

1 Like

You should be able to work up a series of something like shelf standards bolted to the legs which would allow you to raise/lower a platform to which you could clamp your stock.

had lots of ideas. lifing table with v jig and stuff.

right now, even easier, i’ll make one more leg in the middle on the left side. then i’ll drill big hole inside, so that i can put a M33 bolt through. then i can mount a vase on its faceplate. so right after turning it can be cnc’ed

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.