Intensive and long term with metal?

I would
Like to know your insights about longevity of the 883 used intensively to work with metal

Is it reliable ?

Thanks

This seems to be the best testament:

3 Likes

You also might ping @JamesC. There’s a long thread here chronicalling his creation of dozens of die sets in hardened brass, all on the Nomad. It has worked so well his company recently bought a second Nomad.

Thread here: My Job is great!

3 Likes

WOW! Thats like a $5000 handle :slight_smile: Hope his friend apreciates it.
Impressive.

I’ve been running hardened brass dies for about a year now. The machine has been cleaned and lubed about once a week. So far, I’ve replaced a limit switch (My fault) and the spindle (also mostly my fault). I run the machine for 8-12 hours every day, and over night 3-4 days a week.

The machine has performed admirably, and as I’ve mentioned before, it competes with the $100,000 to $250,000 machines on the market.

yes, my die take anywhere from 5 to 15 hours to run, but they come out perfectly, and that run time is actually my fault: I got tired of breaking tools.

I now have a second Nomad 883 Pro on it’s way :slight_smile: I’ll see if the new one is as reliable as the old one
!

3 Likes

Performance is a balancing act — does your CAM program do G2/G3 arcs for machining? I recently ran a job using Vectric Vcarve which does that, and it markedly decreased the run-time for the job.

Grbl 1.1 will allow on-the-fly adjustments which will make this sort of thing a bit easier.

1 Like