I've been busy.. ship build

thanks Leith

I did have a 3d printer before getting a NomadPro and the NomadPro easily blows away whay I tried to do with a 3d printer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Frames 1-7 glued and ready.

All individually run on the Nomad pro. Using steamed swiss pear hence the colour change in the wood from blocks I then cut to size.

Each frame bar the smallest one took 2 hours a side, using the double sided machining capability.

7 Likes

Dry fitting the Transoms to the Stern post. A bit annoyed that I left Transom 4 & 5 in a wooden bowel and the wood stain has seeped into the wood on the Transoms.

I still need to sand the tabs off, the keel is complete and most of the external frames. I need to make a building jig this week and will then start gluing the frames to the keel.

The upper stern is proving problematic to CNC as I’ve snapped 3 cutters already so back to the drawing board.

5 Likes

spindles? you mean cutters surely?

me too!!! best project on this forum by far, it’s bloody amazing!!

this one is pretty cool too http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/pandora/index.htm

2 Likes

Yeah sorry I mean cutters

This is the model I’m basing mine on, trying to match it as close as I can.

I glued more together this morning, but need to really make the building bed jig now, it shouldn’t take too long to make but I keep putting it off.

2 Likes

Aligning frame to building bed, it’s slightly out at the moment and need to build another jig on the nomad

5 Likes

I’m struggling with a toolpath in meshcam….

I’ve done the individual frames from the side and they have come out ok, except sanding a bit off it doesn’t fit. So I want to run it in one go but meshcam decides to make the top of the frame wafer thin…?

here is the STL file, its a two sided job :frowning: I will have another go tonight.

Stern2.STL (294.5 KB)

2 Likes

Wafer thin in which direction? Because of the shape, there’s going to be a lot of waste from the source material.

1 Like

Hi mikep wafer thin as you look at it front on, I’ve had another idea… I’m going to try

Dry fitting frames

4 Likes

The project is on temporary hold as 1. My wife and I have just had a little girl 2. I had a problem with my machine/laptop. 3. School boy error on the keel in sokidworks means I need to remake the 4 keel peices… I may try and make one this weekend if I get time

Tim

4 Likes

(1) Congratulations!
(2) : - (
(3) : - )

2 Likes

So my machine is working again, glued the transoms to the stern post and keep, frames to the deadwood at the stern. Some were a tight fit and need re-making, hence the missing frames.

I’ve also ordered more wood so waiting for that to arrive.

20191008_221409|374x500

[20191008_221753|374x500(upload://uhRpf0eUuasYZUsHZgY9StfDVne.jpeg)

5 Likes

10 Likes

Stern cant frames and transoms

Need to fit a frew more frames, fix the warping of some and sand tabs off

7 Likes

A small but very awkward frame update… the aft cant frames have been a nightmare to fit what I thought would have been easy

Happy new year all

7 Likes

The bow is almost complete, needs gunports and a frame cutting out and correcting.

8 Likes