Leveling entire waste board area

Attempting to create a 36x36 acrylic sign on my XXL. I want to ensure the waste board is level across the entire surface. I realize that my cutting area is approximately 30x30, but wonder how to ensure it is level.

My thought would be to cut a 30x30x3/4" and level it. Then tape the acrylic down for the cutting.

Any thoughts?

You’re spot on — there are some sample files for this and some discussion at: Wasteboard Plans with threads

1 Like

Wait a minute. The cutting area of an XXL is 33x33, correct (from here: https://shop.carbide3d.com/products/shapeoko-xl-kit?variant=42721938758)? So you can only level the 33x33 cutting area. If you put a 36 x 36 on there, it’s not going to fit within the 33x33 leveled area. It’s going to sit on areas you can’t reach to level (including the metal supports at the front and back that are slightly above the wasteboard). As far as I can figure out, it’s not possible to level the ENTIRE wasteboard including areas outside of the cutting area. I like playing cards as shims to level oversized pieces. Or am I missing something obvious again?

1 Like

Jeff is stating that he will create a supplementary wasteboard, 30 x 30 to sit on top of the existing XXL base. When he goes to surface this, he will be able to reach all of that supplementary board.

2 Likes

Yes. That occurred to me just after I clicked the Reply button. A supplementary wasteboard is the ticket.

2 Likes