Making a Stainless Steel Watch Case and Back on the Shapeoko 3 (Start to Finish)

Done done!

Sorry, I took the photo before I put the gasket in. (Gasket is installed, really)

Later this summer I will be engraving this watch, so stay tuned.

23 Likes

WOW!
Now thats something to be proud of.
I hope that gets handed down for generations.

I finally got the Second hand on. That was way too hard of a press fit.

11 Likes

This is really cool, the precision is really good! I canā€™t even mill Ali without getting chatter on my X. Donā€™t even start me on finding 0 on all the componentsā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m very impressed.

I think this thread is a fantastic demo of the capabilities of the S3.

4 Likes

Hands down one of the most ambitious Shapeoko projects Iā€™ve seen shared here. Awesome work, sir.

8 Likes

Rich

You mention using a 1/16 cutter with the makita. What collet are you using? I purchased the ellaire 1/8 & 1/4, they donā€™t appear to sell anything else.

At a guess that would be #112 .0625" Flat Cutter which is a 1/16" endmill w/ a 1/8" shaft which fits in the 1/8" Elaire collet.

EDIT: and for the record, Elaire also sells a 3/16" collet (anyone know of a good source for such endmills) and 4, 6, and 8mm

2 Likes

Thanks! Little embarrassed didnā€™t think of that.

1 Like

and 1/32ā€¦all with 1.8 shanksā€¦

BTW: A good question, really.

4 Likes

one of my goto sites for bits. not sure if you guys already kno about it

2 Likes

New one to me. Added it to: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Vendors#U.S..2FInternational Thanks!

Thanks!

Nice selection and pretty good prices. But I still canā€™t locate a 1/16" ZrN coated cutter, this guy stops at 1/8 too (like C3D)

2 Likes

yea i dont see any ZrN coated 1/16ā€¦ they have TiN and AlTiN 1/16 thoā€¦ ill post it here if come across any ZrN

Update: Bad news, Bad news, Good news, Bad news, Good news, Good news on the watch.

Itā€™s still running, but the day/date didnā€™t move during the first night (Bad News.)

I found a bent and missing tooth in the drive train (Bad News)

I have a VERY rare movement (less than 1% of the total volume) because it has a Date at the 6 PM position (Good News $$)

There are NO replacement parts to be found anywhere in the world (Bad News)

I did find a replacement movement with a Date at the 3 PM position (Good News)

I have found a way to remove the two dials (Day and Date) and I think I have figured out how to reprint the letters and numbers so that they can be read at the 6 PM position (I think that is really the only difference is the printing position) (Good News)

On the bright side, other than not changing the Day/Date, it keeps GREAT time!

3 Likes

With the skills you have already exhibited I would have thought you could machine up another cog wheel on the Shapeoko! - No Iā€™m not serious.

and I think I have figured out how to reprint the letters and numbers

Sounds like you may have an answer to your dilemma, I hope so after all your work, it would be nice to have everything working.

What is the watchā€™s vintage? Looks like it is pretty early quartz watch technology,

1 Like

Haha, thanks, Iā€™d rather machine a watch body than have to deal with the tiny components inside. Iā€™m 57, so the eyes, and streadiness of the hands arenā€™t what they used to be. I learned during my trip in Switzerland that there are few watchmakers over 45. At that age they become teachers. Yup, NOW I understand.

I think the watch is about 22-25 years old. Not that old, but I havenā€™t found another like it, and boy I have been searching.

I own LOTS of watches, all makes, and types, from $$$$ to $, and as Ex-NASA engineer I can appreciate the wonderful mechanics of a good wind-up or automatic, but I like the precision of quartz. My best (favorite) watch is a Seiko Solar Watch. NO batteries to change and accurate to (about) 1-2 seconds a month.

Now for the reveal; this watch project was just practice because what I really wanted was to machine a new case for the Seiko Solar out of Gold, 10-14K. I have some 18K watches and that is too soft for my lifestyle (Machinist, Harley guy, haha) So now I start the next journey. I will start with a lost wax casting, and I have found an Ex-NASA guy with the necessary equipment, and I think I have almost enough material (gold), but this one will take me at least a yearā€¦so wish me luck.

5 Likes

I have a Seiko solar as my daily driver as well, very similar to the one pictured below:

Iā€™ve been pretty happy with it as well. Would love to see what you do with the case!

Dan

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always regretted that my fatherā€™s 27 jewel Seiko had a similar failure (and I havenā€™t been able to find someone locally to replace the part ā€” did come across one guy on the internet who does restorations, but the reality is, itā€™s just too large a watch for my taste (and wrist) ā€” will probably do the restoration and give it to my son as a college graduation gift) ā€” had an inexpensive Seiko quartz which I was very fond of, but it died an untimely death and couldnā€™t afford to replace it at that time. Been wearing a Timex Expedition (and kicking myself for not getting the nifty Ingersoll reproduction face which was offered for a while) for a while now (on my 3rd band ā€” guess I should buy a stainless buckle clasp) and would like to upgrade, but kind of have my heart set on the Ingersoll face version (which Iā€™ll likely never see for sale again).

1 Like

Oh crap, I wear a Timex Expedition, too. And we live near each other, I believe, based on your info on the Shapeoko forum. You probably donā€™t have dobermans, though.