Messing with organic shapes and roundover bit

(ray) #1

Just got a round over bit in and wanted to see if it was easier on the shapeoko3 or router table.
Just messing with organic shapes and round over bit.

(Dan Nelson) #2

So which ended up being easier? I’m curious as I’ve thought about this a lot, I have a router table in addition to my XXL and haven’t given it a try yet. What software did you use? Guessing you just did an offset tool path of some sort? Cool stuff!

Thanks,

Dan

(Jim Amos) #3

Nice, I’ve done the inverse of this with a bullnose bit and I’ve always wanted this type of edge detail… can you show us a pic or post a link to your tool? I’ve wondered about some of my router bits for this.

(Dave Richard) #4

I’m curious too. My Shapeoko is much more accessible than my router table. The router table has been pushed back in the corner and become a place to store stuff!

(ray) #5

Well I think initial set up is easier on router table. Once you get SO3 set up to use the bit, it is easier.
When I ran the tool path I ran “ON” the design, no offset with v carve pro. I used what is called a plunging round over bit.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/whiteside-point-cutting-roundover-router-bit.aspx

(Dan Nelson) #6

Ahh, I see now. None of my round over bits come to a point like that, so I would have to write an offset path by the radius of the center of the bit. Very cool, and for $22 well worth the investment. Thanks for the info!

Dan

(Jim Amos) #7

Bookmarked!

Thanks, Ray!

(Les Hall) #8

I really like this look of this, Danish, mid century modern. And the ege treatment is perfect for those shapes.

Les