Since posting my original Z upgrade I wanted to improve it (@TommyG showed me up ) From there I decided to learn how to use fusion a bit better. To cut a long story short, I have made a revised design of the linear Z axis for the shapeoko and remove the confusion behind all the designs floating in the original topic.
Now there was nothing wrong with the first design but this is heavy duty… It’s not as pretty as Tommy’s design but functionally it should be spot on.
- It uses HGH20/HGW20 sliders - more ridged and smoother operation. longer lasting and less flex.
- There are less parts to make - down to 5.
- It’s simpler
- I removed the confusing upgrade opps later for X axis
- You should get 140cm of travel
- Tram though front mounted screws and eccentric nuts
Now there are a few things worth noting;
- It’s slightly bigger and thicker than my original design - this will generally improve it’s smoothness over the X
- The plans will require you to add holes for your HGG20 rails - I don’t have a set to hand to work from - I can walk you though this
- There is some two sided milling
- You will need to tap some threads
- Because I haven’t physically made the design yet, you might find some of the holes slightly too small after milling - I’ve assumed M5, but some might need to be made into M6.
- I haven’t added any tool paths - I have a 2.2kw spindle and the speeds I put in were not suitable for many.
Shopping list include’s:
- 2 x 30CM HGW20 sliders and rails Or you can go for HIRIN rails, but those should be to 0.1mm tol. Realistically I can’t see much benefit. You do have a choice
- Custom ball screw - spec in design - make sure you request this from the seller.
- 1605 nut housing
- 2 x 10x26 x 8 ball bearing
- 1 Nema Motor Mount
- Some of your original hardware from your original Z such as motor/screws
- Additional M5 Screws
- 10-6.35 coupler
Please note, I don’t work with any of those sellers, I just pulled examples from ali express. Buy things from where-ever you like
Here is a link to the fusion files: