New Project with Leftovers

So, I’m an idiot and I bought a Shapeoko 3 a few years ago thinking it’s all I would need, then I bought the XL upgrade thinking it was all I would need…well now I have purchased an XL to XXL upgrade. I also have an aftermarket Z axis.

So, this has left me enough leftovers for all the mechanical parts to another Shapeoko 3. I bought the XXl upgrade knowing this and want to work on a fun project of building a Shapeoko 3 with a rotary axis. I know I need a 5 axis control board. Does anyone know where I can get a decent electronics kit for this without it costing me an arm and a leg? I see alot on Ebay, but don’t know if they are any good and don’t want o waste a bunch of money on my “fun” project.

Thanks!

1 Like

There was a Kickstarter announced recently which just got funded:

It’s supposed to be opensource, and they should be sharing back their changes and modifications to the main repository.

Alternately, look at one of the 3D printer control boards?

A Smoothieboard worked well to control my Shapeoko 2 when it was configured as a 3D printer and ought to have worked for routing as well.

and here’s a video:

1 Like

If you ever decide to sell your leftover parts from the xl to xxl upgrade I’d be interested. Wishing I would’ve bought the xl to begin with.

Both of those look like great options! I am still a newbie at CNC, so this is probably way over my head, but it will be fun to figure it out along the way. Did you see the 4th and 5th axis video? Wow, that really got me thinking. baby steps…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.