I saw a few posts about upgrading the Z axis and though it might be a cool upgrade.
I have a large spindle that strains the springs a fair amount and when milling aluminium my Z belt frequently gets clogged with chips, jams then screws up what I’m working on so there is value in the modification.
I liked the look of the CNC newbie kit, but
- It’s in Canada and I’m not
- It sticks to the standard X axis plate, which whilst in my eyes is a little lazy
- It also isn’t compatible with my spindle, and doesn’t include access to adjust the spindle when not sitting straight.
- It either has too little or too much travel making it too large for my enclosure
- I also feel the X axis can be tightened up a little bit.
Anyway, drum roll… we’re a community of makers, so I made my own
It involved a custom made ball screw which took a little longer to establish which is what delayed this. Milling 20mm aluminium bar, large sheet, probing, dual sided milling, precision drilling with a shapeoko, learning new ways to mount things. Everything was made on the Shapeoko 3 and cost less then £100.
I’m hoping to install it tonight - but its all tested and does fit as expected. Due to it’s narrowness it also has more X travel.
Videos, files and write up to come.
@WillAdams any idea what the travel settings would be for a 1204 ball screw?