Newbie question about text

I am using Carbide Create and I’m trying to change the shape of text. I have a font where the “O” is a Octagon on the outer and inner edge. I’m trying to make an Ohio State plaque for a friend and the Ohio State “O” is narrow not squarish like the font. I tried using the “sizing” width and height but I when I try to make the O taller the width changes to the same as the height. Is there a way in Carbide Create to change the shape of text without the attributes/ration staying the same?

Or how the heck do I create a Octagon and copy it in the software. Thanks in advance

I do most of my design work outside of Carbide Create so I’m not sure if it’s capable of doing what you’re asking but rather than recreating the logo from scratch you can download the original in svg format from wikipedia.
Ohio State logo

1 Like

Thanks Jarrod,
My buddy wants a saying from their fight song…blah blah blah then end with:

O-Hi-O

So all I need is the ability to create or elongate the Octagon O. The tutorial on Carbide create really go too fast and assume the viewer is NOT a rookie like me. Plus basic stuff like copy paste aren’t available, geez they don’t even ask you if you want to save work when exiting.

I’m guessing true type fonts can’t be modified the way I want so creating a large octagon O and a smaller one for the inside will work. Maybe I need to abandon Carbide Create and look toward Inkscape or Fusion 360. The learning curve will kill me though (no patience). LOL

THANKS

Sorry I spelled your name wrong. Happens to me all the time. Really sorry.

Simple enough to draw an octagon using geometry and the rectangle and rotation tools. There are some text / image tutorials here, and on the community-maintained wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Carbide_Create#Other_tutorials

Or, create one in Inkscape and import it — use the one provided by @JaredHooper, remove anything you don’t need, then reset the text (Carbide Create only allows one open file operation).

Or, find one in a font

Or, make a custom font and import one

Carbide Create has a library of shapes / clip art — might be an octagon in there.