Nomad 883 Feeds and Speeds Chart

The Feeds and Speeds chart for the Nomad 883 Pro found in Documents

Old link:
http://carbide3d.com/nomad/feedandspeed

New link:

is great but I don’t understand the values in the FEED and PLUNGE columns. Are those Inches per Minute values?

So if I am using a #101 end mill in PINE, and the above were true is it proper to say I could plunge cut at a rate of 32 ipm but only to a depth of .03" on each plunge?

Yes, the measurements are in Imperial measure, the double curly quote in the DOC column is supposed to stand in for a double prime so as to indicate inches (and isn’t used in the FEED and PLUNGE columns).

Correct, PLUNGE column == speed rate of plunge in inches per minute, and DOC == the step down / depth of cut for each pass.

We do have a metric version of that chart here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Nomad_883#Feeds_and_Speeds (and I guess I should replace the uni-directional stick quotes w/ double primes).

I think the problem is with me, I just didn’t know how to read the chart. I clearly understood the DOC and RPM columns, but just wasn’t certain how to interpret the FEED and PLUNGE columns. In my case I’m still learning the terminology of a CNC machine, and while I might think I know I find it better not to assume anything.

1 Like

Agreed, assumption is always a bad thing. To help with the terminology, you might find the community-maintained glossary of interest:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Glossary

If there’s some term which you’re not sure of which isn’t listed there, please let us know and we’ll see about adding it — if there’s some term defined there where the definition doesn’t seem clear, please let us know and we’ll try to refine and improve and expand upon it until it is clear.

life would be so much easier if either everyone used units or imperial units were never invented. Metric is just so much easier. However even with metric units are needed to indicate orders of magnitude. The best is to use standard SI units where possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

1 Like

Not to be picky, but I looked at this glossary, and under Feed it says nothing about the unit of measure. Even in the Carbide Create application , under job setup you have the option of UNITS - Inches or MM, yet the retract height remains fixed in mm. I’ve learned if it’s not clearly defined I have a problem with even written material and start asking questions.

Yeah, 'cause it’s so bloody easy to divide by 12 in metric. No thanks. I’ll take my base 12 system (and one for which I can always go fetch a DTP pica rule) and have nice even divisions and a suitable precision.

Drives me nuts every time at work we get a layout and ad program in for a European publication and the columns and gutters and ad widths don’t all add up nicely, and the gutter is some bizarre decimal value — I could count the number of nicely laid out pubs with accurate dimensions we’ve gotten in metric on one hand and have fingers and a thumb left over.

I totally agree. Should be banned outright. Same goes for Picas, Points, etc. I make an exception for Ems. What makes it so bad for most less accurate measuring is, there is no frame of reference. Take for instance “village A is 1km from village B.” We have an idea of how many meters that would be. 2 and 1/2 miles? Might as well be 3 stone’s throws away. Humans became accustomed to the concept of zero millennia ago. That sort of implies multiples of 10.
Jerry

Yes, but people were plowing long before there was a zero, and eight furlongs make up a mile.

1 Like

I think It all depends on your own personal frame of reference. I grew up with a good idea how far a 1/4 mile dragstrip was as well as the length of a US football field being 100 yards. But if you told me it was 1km to Village A from here, now we have a problem. However if you told me it was 1 mile away, I’d say okay that’s about 44 seconds away on my old Kawasaki 1000 or if I were Roger Bannister maybe 4 minutes. I’m just saying.

1 Like

That’s pretty much it, though one can argue that Imperial, w/ its traditional-origins is more relatable to a human scale.

More importantly though, this ought to be a community, one which is accepting of differences, even as we strive to make things, and ourselves better.

2 Likes

I totally agree! Back on the original subject, I’ve had time to revisit the Feeds and Speeds Chart and using it has corrected a bunch of issues I was having with noise and chatter.

1 Like