Nomad Cutting Quality

So I’m not sure what is going on here. The circle is definitely smaller than expected, but the pockets are exactly what I expected. However, I ran some test cuts to see if there was some run-out, and it seems that the channel that was cut was greater than expected.

For another test, I took my expected diameter and subtracted the actual diameter, divided by 2, then added that to my end mill diameter: (2-1.986)/2 + .125 = .133

The outside diameter of the circle was .005 off, but the pockets were now much smaller. I thought run-out could be the problem, but then I thought it could be deflection. I then tried ithe job with HDPE and got similar results.

Any ideas?

Upload the source .c2d file?

feeder_cup.c2d (12.2 KB)
here it is

I notice that your cut is .014" under. I converted that to MM out of curiosity, and it came to 0.35mm. Which is the EXACT amount of my tolerance issue. My blind holes and through holes are under by .35mm, and my final part dimensions are .35mm OVER. Have you found a resolution?

I have emailed support after trying for several days to correct this issue. In my case, it began happening with a file I have cut over 100 times.

@ApolloCrowe has told me to just email support.

Thanks for note. I’ll send support an email pronto!

My apologies that I missed your uploading your file — I suspect that rayjneal may be on to something in terms of this being a rounding error in conversion calculations.

FWIW, I suggested ages ago that any such calculations be done as integer using some suitably small unit, something like to TeX’s sp (scaled point, 1/65,535th of a Printer’s point) which would be integral to both metric and Imperial measure.

Try re-creating the file in metric?

The square, circle, diamond test I did was in metric. All of them came out smaller that expected.

Sounds like your spindle has runout. Email support and they will have you a new one tomorrow. Customer service is excellent.

1 Like

I e-mailed them yesterday. haven’t heard anything back yet.

I’m afraid all the Nomad folks are on vacation (not really, it just seems like it to the new guy) — I’ve added a link to this thread to your ticket and someone who is experienced with the Nomad will get back to you as soon as they catch up.

Thank you for your patience.