Nomad: Program Hanging

We have been using our original nomad for over a year now with generally good results. However every so often (and seemingly more often recently), the program just stops running. The spindle remains on but all X,Y,Z motion stops and carbide motion seems un-responsive.
Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea what is causing it?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Can you please tell us which version of Carbide Motion you are running, what OS and version you are running, and your Nomad serial number? Is it a Nomad or Nomad Pro (from the age probably the former)?

mark

We just upgraded to CM3 partly because of this problem but it didn’t fix the issue. This is on Win7 Pro. Our machine is #00109 (yep original Nomad).

Thanks,

We just upgraded to CM3 partly because of this problem but it didn’t fix the issue. This is on Win7 Pro. Our machine is #00109 (yep original Nomad).

Unplug the USB cable from the Nomad and power it down. Reboot your computer. Hook things back up. Does that help?

mark

Sounds a bit like the USB disconnection issues from the SO3 side of the house: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Electronics#Recommendations

If the things which apply to a Nomad don’t help, contact support@carbide3d.com

Mark,

That does help. What do you think the diagnosis is? Computer or Nomad?

Peter

The powering down of the Nomad and removing the USB cable causes a full reset of the interface board - a computer really - in the Nomad. Most likely, that it what “fixed” the issue. Powering off the Nomad and not removing the USB cable does not cause the reset.

If the problem repeats, keep track of the incidents. If they become more frequent or restoring become more difficult, look into the methods @WillAdams pointed out. If you’re up to taking your machine apart and doing some simple solder work, adding a capacitor has dramatically reduced USB issues for many.

mark

1 Like

When everything dies, does CM3 popup a disconnection error? The older CM would not have done this.

@WillAdams - The original Nomad had totally different electronics that never suffered from EMI-related disconnects

Rob,

No error on the CM side, just becomes unresponsive. We switched the PC out for a slightly newer one. We’ll see if that helps and post what we see.

Thanks,
Peter

1 Like

I’ve been encountering this on my Nomad 883 Pro (used/2nd hand). Weird, I searched, but didn’t find your post, so ended up posting ( Job hangs, but spindle stays on )

Regarding the Capacitor soldering mod, does anyone have a schematic and a location of where it should be added? The hangs/disconnects are annoying while setting up… but costs milling stock when it happens mid-job. :frowning:

Looks like I might be taking a look and re-checking wiring/boards in the near future on my Nomad.