Pocket carving around letters for raised effect

(Jamie Raben) #22

(Jamie Raben) #23

So I am trying to keep the text and border raised.

(William Adams) #24

Is that an outline font? If you use an outline font, then only the outline will be left as an island, the central part of the text will be cut as a pocket as well.

If not, you need to select the inner border (you’ll need two though only one is shown below) as well when assigning the toolpath, and you need to use a Pocket, not an Outside, Inside, or No Offset path. See attached:

rb_pocket.c2d (3.4 KB)

Please post the .c2d file, or the SVG.

(Jared Hooper) #25

Jamie, it looks like the letters are outlined (they have two lines defining them). They should only have one line defining their shapes.
I don’t know just how large your project is but I think those smaller letters on the bottom may prove impossible to have ‘raised’ like the larger ones. Raising the bottom inside frame line to enclose those letters then v-carving them is a more likely method.

(William Adams) #26

Looking more closely at the file, I believe that the appearance of an outline is caused by an outside profile toolpath.

I’ll try to work up a step-by-step tutorial for this during my lunch break or this evening when I get home.

(Jared Hooper) #27

Here’s a screen shot of what I meant about the smaller letters being V-carved inside the frame …

To get the larger letters to be ‘islands’ within the frame first select the inside frame line then also select the letter shapes then choose the pocket option in the toolpaths menu.

May not help here, but related… a technique I use all the time is to use a V bit on a normal tool path (not a V-carve). If you set the path “no offset” with a V bit (prior to doing a pocket or profile cut set to “outside” or “inside”) at just a few hundredths will make a nice bevel around the whole path without ANY additional file setup work.

I also find that using this technique at even 1/100" just to “score” the tool path helps prevent some material shredding on the surface around the path that you’d get going straight in with a square end mill.