Re-Created a Super Small Cribbage Board

Someone was looking for a vintage super small portable cribbage board on reddit. I have never seen one like it before, but I decided to make one real quick out of wood.

People seemed to like them, but they wanted a more continuous hole layout like I do with my larger portable boards, so I found a pattern that fit the size of the board and I made a few more out of different hardwoods.

I was still not happy with the way the pegs flopped around in the holes, but I did not have an 0.0781" (5/64") drill bit long enough to go as deep as I needed. I figured I could use a 1/8" end mill and make a channel deep enough to get the 0.0781" hole deep enough, and it worked, so I now have a board with an internal slot with the holes to hold the pegs securely without the rattling around.

12 Likes

I am going to unapologetically copy your project. Very nice work, love being able to ā€˜bring backā€™ vintage style items that arenā€™t as widely available anymore.

1 Like

Go for it, but you have to post your board when you finish it!

While youā€™re at it, here are 39 ancient game boards (and instructions for most of them) if for some reason your ā€œI need to make thatā€ list is too short.

2 Likes

List? singular? Thereā€™s the inspiration folder in my dropbox, the old notes I kept in Evernote, random saved posts on facebook, a handful of saved images on my phone, about a dozen different pinterest boards, a trello board or two, and now 39 fricken ancient game boards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome. :grinning:

These are great! I think I just found the perfect gift for my dadā€™s 70th. Can you please tell me where you get those pegs?

EDIT: never mind, I just went to your etsy shop and now I see you have them custom made. Very nice shop!

1 Like

I make a ā€œsimilarā€ scoretrack for another game that requires only 42 holes. I use these as the pegs https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product/shelf-support-plug-in-for-wooden-shelves-and-5-mm-hole-with-stop/000000620002291200010023/ . They require a 5mm hole and they are available through Woodcraft. If you donā€™t need as many holes or you want bigger pegs (say, for someone who is elderly and/or disabled), these would work out.

2 Likes