Recommendation for wasteboard surfacing end mill

I’ve tried a few of these in the $5 to $20 price range (mostly from china) and have been unlucky in getting one where the cutting end is actually flat.

Can anyone recommend a decent one (not looking to spend more than $50)? Thanks!

Anything 1/4" or larger should get the job done. Bits from Freud and Whiteside are both excellent, with the former being available at most big-box stores. I use this: http://a.co/4P1Nn0E

1 Like

Whiteside 6210 is what I use. Only takes a couple of minutes to resurface

2 Likes

As others have said, that Whiteside 6120 works pretty well. Keep in mind, you’re moving it across the surface. The middle of the bit should be higher than the outside edge (it’s rotating slower, and needs less depth of cut), but because you’re moving it along horizontally, you’ll still get a flat bottom to the cut unless the router is out of tram . If it’s out of tram, you won’t get a flat bottom to the cut. That’s a totally different topic…

1 Like

So is this actually fine for it to not be flat?

1 Like

Yes because when it is spinning it will only cut on the outside edges when moving and will cross before going into the middle. If doing a straight down plunge it will still cut on the trailing edge as it leaves the plunge location. (I ramp my plunge cut because my bits have the center section removed and it would hit. I also believe it is better for the equipment.)

2 Likes

Yes. As long as the bottom two points are square to the shank, you’re good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.