Ridges on pieces

Yeah… me too. It may be maple, I don’t think a dark color would work. Also debating using metal, purple is difficult, should have thought it through more :slight_smile:

First material I thought of was aluminum. Seems like it would look really sharp against that purple.

-Edward

1 Like

I was also debating doing arylic, it’s even small enough of an area I could do a laser etched design using my crappy $100 laser engraver

New idea… fancy decorative paper.

I have a handful:

The first one might be interesting since it has dark purple elements with a gold accent, but I’m not sure the ones I have are right. I think with the plain solid color I’d want some kind of pattern, might order an assortment like this, http://www.dickblick.com/items/11262-1140/

Just need something with a small pattern since I’m using a small piece. I hate design.

Alternately, use a bit of black velvet or felt? (If sourcing cloth be sure to use something which is archival in nature — the felts made from plastics seem quite neutral chemically, but one must wash them in a base to deactivate and remove the sulfuric acid residue from their manufacture)

Flocking is another option and can work well when paired w/ a precisely cut pocket:

1 Like

There are some fabrics and paper products with the elders scrolls/skyrim theme if you were still going that way,Alchemy table/anvil/potions come to mind…Nice job on the purple heart,just got some myself to play around with,what feed and speed did you end up using?

P.s scrapbooking products have a very wide assortment of patterns/themes aswell.

1 Like

Remember that purpleheart is only that purple when freshly cut. Over time it will become brown. I say that from personal experience, but you should always ask for confirmation http://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/ .

1 Like

Yeah it will brown over time. You can finish it to maximize the time but few years later it’s brown. I’m not doing the skyrim on this one, aiming for a more traditional ring box. I’ll have to look at a bunch of patterns see what I like. Flocking is a good idea for the interior recess thanks for the idea.

New idea, I’d made this keychain awhile ago by gluing a layer of veneer over a piece of contrasting wood, then milling through it. It looks pretty good I think. Thinking I’ll either veneer purpleheart over maple or maple over purpleheart then carve the tree design into it. That’ll keep the coloring consistent and look nice, I hope.

5 Likes

I really like the veneer idea. I am working up some designs that I was planning on doing inlay to achieve a similar effect, but this idea seems more cost effective and simpler. I’m thinking of doing some customized coasters, and this would work better, provided I seal them against moisture really well. I wouldn’t want the veneer to separate.

Tight bond 3 glue is considered waterproof for nonsubmerged applications.

1 Like

Titebond also has a cold press glue designed for veneer. However, a bunch of years ago, I sent a veneered piece that I had made to Titebond because I had a bonding problem with it. A customer sent it back after it separated. Titebond recommended their Ultimate glue (and they sent me a gallon free to try) on veneers instead of the cold press. They said at the time they recommended Ultimate for use in van customizations and places where heat and humidity would change a lot.

2 Likes

Tried a new design which I really like. Maple would pair well with a walnut box, the engraving isn’t deep enough to cut through the veneer for the technique I mentioned above.

1 Like

Started doing larger batches

And got these back from Ponoko all lasered up:

File I sent to be lasered:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI_F0rEWsAIPMBo.jpg:large

I like it overall, the design is in mirror so the thickness of the glass makes the design look insert which I’m not sure if my favorite. I may try another material next time but the color works well with the walnut especially once I have some wood finish on there.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I have to know. Is that H4N2O? I’m sure there’s some interesting story with that, right? If it was C20H25N3O, at least we’d know it was a stash box.

Serotonin “is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.”

My chemistry exposure was about 50 years ago and I never did get the hang of it.

1 Like

I just googled it :slight_smile: I know there’s gotta be at least one or two chemistry geeks out there in need of a ring box.

1 Like

Alrighty I have an actual complete one with the ring insert, the back of the mirror covered up and the packaging!

5 Likes