I’ve got the Elaire 1/8" collet which seemed highly recommented. I also have an actual spindle square, I know across the X axis it’s off .002-.003" across the width of the spindle which is 3-4". Is there a good target number? At some point I need to take the Xaxis off so I can file off the anodizing on the left side of the gantry which should bring it closer but seems pretty close, I’m not sure I’d even notice it off that little with a homemade jig.
Alright so I bumped it up to a .15" ‘roughing’ diameter, leaving .0125" material for the finishing pass. MUCH BETTER.
The lines are barely perceptible so this technique will definitely ‘cover’ the machine issue for now. I’m going to try upping it just a bit more and just doing a really slow 8ipm finishing pass.
Now this whole thing has introduced one new issue around the tabs. At each location that it moved vertically to avoid the tabs it also ate into the wood on each side of the tab. This is movement along the Y axis and it’s on both sides. May try making the tabs a mm narrower on the finishing pass. I did intentionally orient them on the face grain so it’d be easier to sand after removing the tabs but, still kinda annoying after getting this close.